Adding Contents of a letter to my manuscript

In one of my scenes the character is reading a letter and I want to include the text. Normally when it’s exported I would want that to be indented an additional inch on either side. Is there some way to do this?

1 Like

Isn’t that what quotes are for?

In Dabble, highlight the text you want to quote and pick the quote mark from the popup menu. Perhaps this will work for you. Comme ça:

3 Likes

Sure if it’s one paragraph. But if you have a three paragraph letter, it doesn’t make sense to do it that way. It should be inset, and maybe in italics. I’m sure you’ve seen this technique before.

1 Like

But the quote is inset, it is in italics, and you can quote multiple paragraphs.

The quoted text is centered though and not justified so it does not look quite right if it’s meant to look like a letter. Perhaps you want more formatting control. If so then by all means post is as a feature request.

1 Like

Maybe I’m not seeing the big picture here, but why doesn’t it make sense to do it with the quote function? I’ve used it quite a bit. I don’t particularly like the centered quote, but if you just press the “quote” button again it cycles through centered, left justified, and off. And you can do as many paragraphs as you want this way. I think, as you type, it will just add a paragraph, but it’s still formatted as a quote.

Patrick

2 Likes

Just an FYI, if you click the quote a second time you get a slightly different style quote. This is how I do text messages, letters anything that is on a computer screen too. (the second time it removes the centering)

2 Likes

@Patrick_McCafferty and @AJ_Hunter you guys are fantastic. I had no idea you could tap the quote button twice. But Jacob programmed in the hint, now that I see it clearly. One click only makes one of the tic marks blue and gives us centered indented text. A second one gives two blue tic marks and justified indented text. SWEET! Another tick unquotes the text.

Haw! @Rodney_Buxton asked a good question because I learned something new about Dabble, something very useful.

1 Like

@AJ_Hunter @Johannes_Rexx So this sounds like exactly what I want, a block quote. But I typed to “” and nothing happened. Am I missing something here?

Thanks

1 Like

You need to type the text, then highlight it and toggle through the quote marks in the option menu which appears above the highlighted text to go through the options, left justified indent, centred indent or no indent.

2 Likes

In the notes you can also click the T button (the one that makes headers) twice to get a slightly smaller heading… so HTML wise an h1 and and h2.

I don’t know if any of the others have multiple uses but those are the ones I use regularly.

2 Likes