Craft your story

Dabble Community

Author-mentors?

Hi Dabbleworld,

I’m curious about your mentors and the authors that you admire and respect the most. They don’t necessarily have to have written your favorite books, but perhaps they’ve influenced your choices or provided instruction that’s helped you advance your writing.

I feel that I’ve absorbed a lot through a lifetime of reading, but on the other hand, I lack solid instruction (still getting my head around plot grids!) and I’m thinking about taking a class. I just found this series by author Michelle Richmond that looks enticing (I like the tone of her blog posts) and this made me curious if anyone here had someone else to recommend?

4 Likes

I love watching Jenna Morecci on YouTube. She’s got some good advice, though I’ve never really read any of her works.

But I don’t really have any mentors.

I’ve worked through several of Randy Ingermanson who uses the snowflake method and other advice.

KM Weiland is another I follow pretty avidly though I’ve never read any of her works either.

5 Likes

KM Weiland is one I love too. She’s much more of a plotter than I am, but I love absorbing what’s on her site and twisting it to work for me.
I haven’t read any of her works either but perhaps it would be intresting to see what the method she talks about puts out.

5 Likes

Adding my vote for K.M. Weiland! Also, Stephen King (his book On Writing is a classic) and Chuck Wendig (I haven’t read his fiction, but his non-fiction books for writers are entertaining and I follow his blog avidly.)

As far as potential classes, I believe Brian Sanderson (I think is his name, I’m drawing a blank) has some of of his writing lectures on YouTube.

3 Likes

Brandon Sanderson does :slight_smile: I think it’s called Writing Excuses but I could be wrong, I haven’t watched/listened to any myself tho.

4 Likes