Craft your story

Dabble Community

Completely not working

Um the last update broke dabble. I can’t get past the quote screen.

1 Like

Yup. Same here.

1 Like

And as a tech I cleared my local storage, cookies, dbs in attempt to log me but I couldn’t figure out how to do that without the logout button.

AND I tried an icognito screen which I couldn’t even log into so it’s not even letting me login.

1 Like

Same here

1 Like

Same.

1 Like

It’s back

2 Likes

Thank you @jacob for a quick fix.

3 Likes

✓ Dabble Web v2.0.41 escaped and all is well again in the land :sunny:

This is why I stick with Dabble.

4 Likes

Sorry guys. Bad build. An updated dependent library left out the JavaScript in the page. Dabble with no code doesn’t work well, as you might imagine. :smile: Now I do a gut check on staging for every deploy, even a small tweak.

Now I’m not a professional software developer and hearken from the days when developers entered programs into the computer from the front panel and paper tape. When we listed programs to a teletype. And wrote in FORTRAN that compiled to intermediate code that had to be run through a linking loader to produce an executable. Sometimes my knuckles drag on the ground :blush:

These days I read about things like continuous integration, DevOps and unit tests.

Jacob, can you write a paragraph summing up how you relate to these concepts?

2 Likes

Well, there is the Software Engineer who builds out tests, constructs code, revels in algorithmic challenges, and has the highest commitment to quality code. Then there is the hacker (not the same as someone who hacks into things) who throws together anything they can find to try and make something work, even if just. They hack things together.

I’m somewhere in between. I like good code, but I balance design, marketing, website copy, support requests, and software coding by striving for “good enough” in each category. My “good enough” may be higher than some, lower than others.

I decided early that if I were to be able to handle a business on my own (until I can afford to hire others) I would need to offload tasks. DevOps is one of those. I host everything in Google’s and Amazon’s cloud services, using a “serverless” approach. Serverless doesn’t mean servers aren’t involved (because they always are) but that you don’t manage servers. Google’s Cloud Functions let me run code and scale it without doing anything. Firebase and Firestore lets me store all the data and scale to millions of users.

Dabble is mostly a front-end application with a small backend for syncing and handling billing. This allows me to focus more, but it works out well because Dabble needs to work offline anyway, so most of the logic needs to be contained in the front-end and not the backend (server side).

I haven’t set up continuous integration. I manually push up builds. Maybe someday.

I do have unit tests, but not enough. I was going to have tons of test coverage before mobile launched, but it took so long I went early. It ended up being a rocky couple weeks, but the issues weren’t major, and I’m not sure how many of them would have been caught with unit tests anyway.

So I guess I’m a pragmatist who tries to balance somewhere in the middle of all or nothing on everything.

I’d love to do a technical series of blog posts about how I architected the Dabble product sometime. Because of the architecture, it is capable of scaling to a very large number of writers at the same time, millions even, though I doubt it will ever reach that scale, with just me running it. In practice, this allows me to continue adding features as Dabble grows instead of dealing with scaling challenges.

Support doesn’t scale like that tho. I’d love to figure out how to do that. :smiley: But in a few months or early next year I will be hiring part time support staff to help out.

7 Likes

Very interesting. Thanks for that detailed reply. And thanks @Johannes_Rexx for asking the question! Jacob, I think you’ve done a great job. Congrats on being able to hire part time support staff to help!

2 Likes

I was initially hesitant to join Dabble. I was firmly set on Mac apps that had a bit more refinement and that worked on iphone and iPad. Jacob, to his credit, told me he would have that sorted in due time – and boy did he. Even though the mobile rollout had a few hiccups, Jacob is the most responsive and surgical developer of any app I know. He is open to feedback and very quick to address bugs or issues that need attention. I have now ported over to Dabble and have zero regrets. For him to be a solo team and yet be so fast to address problems, concerns, and requests – is inspiring. Well done!

5 Likes

:smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

1 Like

Jacob really gave us a full-throated answer. I feel smarter for having read it :blush:

2 Likes

yes Jacob is indeed the best. I’ve always had quick response when i messaged with promelems

4 Likes

He repeatedly can’t solve my “doesn’t sync from my Mac even though my Mac says it’s synced” issues. I even switched to “browser-only” and it’s still just borked.

I think I’m going to have to ditch this program guys. This can’t keep happening without an explanation for WHY it’s happening. I can’t count on this software.

2 Likes

Chet and I worked out what the issue was. It was something to do with the upgrade of data when the big release including mobile was launched. I have added fixes so anyone else with this potential situation will sync.

Thank you Chet for reporting the issue!

2 Likes

THIS is why I’m sticking with Dabble.

3 Likes

Same here, Johannes! Jacob is so responsive and helpful.

2 Likes