Craft your story

Conferences/Retreats?

What are some of your favorite writing conferences/retreats? I go to the Writer’s Digest Annual Conference in NYC every year and it’s a great place for networking, learning about your specific writing interests, and meeting new writing friends (although I’m speculating on the potential because I’m an introvert and made 0 friends lol). It would be fun to meet up if anyone else goes as well! I am interested in finding out about more opportunities to do so, though. Does anyone else attend these things, and which are your favorites and why!

Yes! I am also interested.

I attended the WD Novel Conference in Pasadena this last October and got to meet James Scott Bell and Larry Brooks, 2 authors whose books on writing have really helped me.

I want to attend the NYC conference this year, so we should totally meet up @hlwilson, and any other Dabblers attending.

Do you guys think it is valuable for Dabble to have a table at conferences? The novel conference I didn’t do a table, just an insert in the conference bag and an email blast. The coupon was used by 2 people, so the inserts aren’t the best way. But networking and chatting with people was awesome.

I might also try submitting a proposal to speak on modern writing tools and try as hard as I can to provide an unbiased overview of tools out there.

Hi Jacob! That sounds awesome, I’d love to meet up with any other Dabblers attending. Let me know if you’re interested in doing a table and want some help, I don’t think it’s a bad idea. :smile:

Hi guys! I’ve gone to a few conferences, and a number of panel talks in my area - so I don’t really have any suggestions on conferences in your area to go to. (Worldcon moves around too much, and the Armadillocon scifi/fantasy conference is tiny) But…

For the fellow introvert - Volunteer! I went to my local annual writers conference for years and enjoyed it a lot, but I barely interacted with anyone there until I started volunteering. It works wonders. And for the bigger conferences, if they have room parties like Worldcon does - go to the parties. It sounds weird, but that’s where all the socializing is done. Lean on the wall outside where the people are going in and out of the public party, and sooner or later another introvert writer will start talking to you.

And to Jacob - whether or not you decide to do a table probably depends on the conference. It’s a huge amount of time for you to invest, and you might not see that much action there, since depending on where your table is, people literally have to walk by you, decide you’re interesting from a 2 second glance, and that they have the desire & time to stop and say hi. And if they’re shy, it’s worse. That’s a lot of asks from busy conference attendees.

However, if you could get on a panel talk somehow, and then give out inserts with a free intro coupon code and product link, like you did for Nano, that would probably work awesomely. And then if you also had a leaflet showing prominently at the leaflet table that most conferences have, that would probably work.

If you did want to invest in the table though, maybe bring a couple of laptops so that if folks who heard you on the panel were interested, you could let them create a login or play with a demo version right there at the table. But also have large visuals set up showing a demo of the plot grid screen and folder structure, with both clearly being online, for the folks who will be too shy to stop and talk.

Market your plot grid and your folder structure heavily - very few other folks are doing a functional online folder structure yet, and nobody has your brilliant plot grid. So at the moment you have a lovely monopoly, which is a great opportunity to create buy-in within the existing writing market.

(Also, if you expanded to be able to export or import from Scrivener, you’d probably get even more buy-in, from an existing and very large market, since as far as I know, they are not looking at going online whatsoever-at least that’s what they’ve said. And the Scrivener market is vocal and they love new tech.)

Anyway, that’s my 2 cents. Hope it helped!

Fun fact, I actually reached out to the Scrivener folks in 2010. Keith’s heart is with the Mac app. He had concerns about being responsible for user’s data and eating into the Scrivener’s desktop app profits. He didn’t follow up, and I wasn’t ready to go for it at the time.

Now they send people my way who are on Chromebook, and they have a link to Dabble on their links page under Book-Writing Software. For only being a year old I find it pretty exciting.