Craft your story

Dabble Community

Create a trash folder in your manuscript

Hate when deleting a scene or a bunch of text makes your daily wordcount take a dive? Create a trash folder WITHIN your manuscript. You can move an unwanted scene there. Or, cut and paste text into a catch-all scene. There is an added benefit in that you can ORGANIZE YOUR TRASH so you can more easily find stuff you’ve trashed.

Of course, this complicates hitting complete manuscript word counts. Maybe make a whole new manuscript for saving trash. Or trash your trash into the real trash at the end of the day…AFTER recording your daily wordcount somewhere else.

Frankly, I think I’m going to abandon my manuscript wordcount goal in a first draft. Only use it on second drafts.

1 Like

I never trash written words :slight_smile: I have something similar to trash, I call it deleted scenes. It’s a whole other ‘book’ in my project of series. But when word count matters I leave it in until after the goal has been hit. But I only care about word count goals during nano.

1 Like

This.

2 Likes

For NaNo, I have an entire Dabble project where I write in and that syncs with the NaNo webpage. and only after Nano, I copy the results to the actual projects, where the parts belong.
This way, I can work on different projects at once … or include a work email to hit my daily target, hehe.

2 Likes

The folks at Writing Excuses talk about the concept of a “boneyard”. A place to move things into for future exploration. I keep mine in Story Notes. No organization, just a place to cut/paste paragraphs, sections, and ideas that don’t fit into current book. I’m writing a non-fiction book and discovered another book in my boneyard.

2 Likes

This is what I do as well. Though I usually write it in the place it belongs and then copy and paste it into my Nano project.

I actually have a group I’m with that we keep track of our weekly word counts, so right now I’m doing that will all my non wip projects, I copy them into the week chapter so I can get a word count of all the creative pieces I’ve written (which include my blog posts)

and Dabbles all projects word count feature is EXCELLENT just to get a tally for everything I need to enter into that spread sheet lol

2 Likes