Creating a scene from what's already there

Hi, I’m new to Dabble, so maybe not getting if there’s a good way to do this. I imported my novel using cut and and paste, but neglected to read the part that says put # where there’s a new scene. Is there an easy way to make text alrady there a scene? It looks like I have to create a new scene, cut and paste what’s there into the window and then delete what I already had to get it to function as a scene. Also, I do a lot of revision as I’m writing, so knowing how to easily separate what I already have into a new scene would help! Again, this isn’t how to create a scene, but how to get a scene heading for something that’s already written. If that makes sense. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi Maureen. From my experience with it, you can go ahead and put in the three # marks where you want the new scene to appear. Then you can highlight everything in the current scene (which may contain one or more additional scenes), cut it to the clipboard, then paste it all back in and it will separate into separate scenes. I have only done this at the end of my manuscript, or as the last scene, so if you already have multiple scenes set up and you’re pasting them in before some existing scenes, I don’t know if it will insert them or what. But you can play with it and see!

1 Like

Thanks Patrick! I figured it was something like that. I appreciate the detail. I’ll give it a try.

1 Like

It sounds like what you’re looking for is a “Split Scene” feature. @Patrick_McCafferty has a good workaround. I would like to add a proper Split Scene option as well. But it isn’t there at this time.

1 Like

I’ll look forward to it. :slight_smile:
I do not have a linear writing process, so it would help.
But the workaround isn’t that big a problem until then.
Thanks!
Maureen

1 Like