Dabble for Android Phones and Tablets

Hi, I notice that a mobile app is in the works but wasnt sure if that was for iOS only? Or whether Dabble would also be available for Android phones and tablets?

In recent years I have moved away from Apple and would really welcome Android support!

3 Likes

I don’t know for 100% certain but based on the fact that the desktop app works on mac and windows I’m going to say that @Jacob is going to make the app work on ios and andriod.

3 Likes

Thanks AJ_Hunter that’s useful to know.

@Jacob I would be grateful for your thoughts on the direction of the mobile application as both an Android and iOS version would cater for both sets of users?

The mobile app would also make Dabble more accessible especially for users with conditions like Arthritis who find using a mobile / tablet less strenuous than a Laptop or PC.

2 Likes

Anything I do will be for both iOS and Android. I’m still not sure how we will deploy to mobile. The options are, in order of likelihood:

1. update the current web app to work well on mobile
  2. create a new web app for mobile (if making 1 app work for both requires too many compromises)
  3. a native app (one that you download from the app store)

If I can’t get the performance needed, or the optimal experience desired, from a web app, I will go full native.

6 Likes

@jacob do hope you don’t have to write too many different code bases. *crosing fingers

1 Like

@Jacob that seems like a sensible approach. Fingers crossed the updated Web app works well on Mobile devices and you don’t have to go down the route of the other options. Do you have any timelines in mind for the mobile update?

In terms of your wider road-map do you have any functionality available to rate preferences? Looking through your list, I noted a couple of features that I would welcome seeing next. I imagine others in the community would also welcome the opportunity to share their preferences.

1 Like

@Nabeel_Javed check out feature up vote.

https://dabble.featureupvote.com/

Jacob updates the feature road map after looking at popular votes.

2 Likes

@AJ_Hunter many thanks for sharing the link. That’s exactly what I was looking for :grinning:

1 Like

I have no timeline on when something will be finished, but I will be starting this summer. We will see what it will take to create a great experience at that time.

1 Like

I have a question. I know that mobile is in the planning stages. But is there a list of currently compatible devices?

2 Likes

I don’t think there are any compatible mobile devices - definitely not supported.

I know I get a message that tells me mobile devices are not supported. Pretty sure that’s set for all devices.

If it works it’s luck of the draw.

edit
It should work on any desktop platform except linux but there is a build for it but not sure it’s officially supported.

2 Likes

Dabble is not officially supported on mobile or tablet. A warning displays on tablet, but it works good enough that some people use it.

Mobile however is too poor an experience, so I block it completely.

1 Like

Okay, I know it doesn’t work on phones. Wasn’t sure on the tablets. Thank you for the response. I love using dabble, but right now I only use it for one story. The rest I have on Google Docs just so that I can work on them in airports, on planes, at bars etc.I don’t always have the time or room to pull out my work laptop. I currently use my phone with a bluetooth keyboard, but was looking at other potential options.

Kim

2 Likes

What would make a good mobile experience for Dabble? And are there any good examples out there? (Including non story writing apps that work well from a usability perspective and are intuitive).

Some things I would like to see:

1. Page to re-size to the device screen
  2. Being able to switch between the plot grid and main writing page with ease.
  3. Being able to re-order in the plot grid with ease. Drag and drop on a mobile/tablet doesnt work well without a mouse.
  4. Minimalist approach to what is presented on screen perhaps by hiding all options.

I’m sure others in the community will have some good ideas and examples so please share :slight_smile:

1 Like

@Jacob I would really love to use dabble on a tablet as a better means to work on the go with or without wifi. I have an old samsung tablet that I tried to work the browser on but it’s telling me browser mode isnt supported, so I’m on the hunt for a new tablet. Is there any samsung or windows tablet out there that I can download the dabble app from the website?

1 Like

The tablets work if they aren’t sending a mobile header. I know iPad works, and the Samsung Galaxy tablet (SM T350) which I picked up for testing works. When I say “works”, I mean technically it works, but it is very squished. I am working on mobile support right now which will help Dabble work well on phones and tablets.

Since Dabble is online, you might try just pulling it up at the store if they have a tablet on display to see if it loads Dabble well. Be sure to sign out afterwards to delete your data from the display tablet.

2 Likes

Did you try viewing the browser in desktop mode? I got the web app to work on my galaxy s10+ (using chrome) by doing it. Not optimal for plot grids but if just trying to write more of a current project it could work

1 Like

Been a while since I posted, thought I would check in for an update on when the dabble mobile web app will be released? Due to my travels I don’t have access to my personal laptop very often, the mobile app would therefore allow me to use Dabble during my spare time!

1 Like

@Jacob, I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but PWA could be what you’re looking for in this case.

Also, I’m thinking that part of the issue you’re running into is with the side panels. When I use Dabble on my mobile (by requesting the desktop site) those are the most difficult thing to navigate. I’ve seen some apps that mitigate this by having the side panels slide out at the push of a button. In other words, Dabble on mobile would default to “focus view” and then you could request the side panels through buttons.

Just some thoughts on this whole request for mobile. In my experience, it can be quite helpful when the requestor(s) of something like this offer up possible solutions. I mean, we are the ones clamoring for this particular feature, after all.

1 Like

As far as I’m aware Jacob is already using this as a PWA. The same code is being used for the electron app as the website version of it. He is utilizing this and making the layout mobile friendly. Which required a rework in order to get the functioning to behave correctly. He is definitely working on a mobile friendly website verses creating a mobile only version.

1 Like