Craft your story

Dabble Community

Does anybody use Dabble along with another writing platform?

I’ve found Dabble absolutely indispensable for first drafts because…

1. It’s simplity keeps a lot of distractions at bay. You can stay in the “rough draft” headspace.
  2. The plotting features is key.

But I’m wondering if I’m going to do my rewrites in Dabble, or switch over to something more feature rich like Scrivener. Or, maybe a featureless platform like Google Docs.

Anybody here jump between tools between their drafts and versions?

3 Likes

To my knowledge, versioning and simply duplicating of parts of a manuscript are still coming in Dabble’s future.
During my first NaNo, I use Scrivener’s Trial version and simply copied my first draft and only made revisions in the copy. It can be helpful or simply interesting to keep the first draft unchanged.
For now, you can alsways export the first draft and have a save copy of it externally.

As of the implementation of find&replace as well as spell&grammar check, I find it more convenient now than ever to do my revisions in Dabble.

1 Like

I use Word and Dabble together. I like the thesaurus on Word, but most of my work is on Dabble.

3 Likes

I use Dabble as my major platform. It has everything I need for all stages of a draft, and for versioning at the moment I just export, save it on my hard drive, and then start on the V2 in the same project. I’ve not found it lacking even for re-writing, and the new features coming out are just great! So excited.

However I dabble (get it? :joy:) in other platforms depending on my needs. My main other platform is Evernote because it’s essentially a notebook I can have on my phone or on the internet. I’ve been playing around with StoryShop but I don’t really like the functionality, I like the world function but that’s about it.

I’ve tried other platforms at times and not loved any of them, especially Scrivener. I do use Google Drive when that’s what I have available, but that’s more of just a place to put some words until I can put it into Dabble. My biggest beef with something like Scrivener is the number of licenses I have to purchase. I work between PC and Mac as well as on my phone and sometimes on a tablet and on my work computer. So that’s three licences and two apps, I think.

The only other program that I’m really invested in is 4thewords. I love my RPG style games, and 4thewords is an online ‘game’ that takes that style and makes it applicable for writing. So, so beat the monsters you have to write a certain number of words in a certain amount of time, and the quests are generally around beating monsters, writing a certain (large) number of words, or crafting things (which you need to defeat the monsters for). So, basically, you must write to keep going. But that’s less a writing platform and more a bit of fun to get me motivated.

Anyone on 4thewords here? I could use some more friends :smiley:

Edit: This was a much longer post than I intended. Sorry for the novel! :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

Dioraneil. Add me if you like. I should go back to using 4thewords, it’s fun.

3 Likes

I was on 4thewords until it turned out you had to invest money constantly to keep going. The idea is certainly fun, but I can find more economic ways to motivate myself :frowning: .

3 Likes

Dabble has been an indispensable drafting tool for me, but what I use depends on the project and the needs of the project. Google Docs is more useful for collaborative stuff (at the moment), and Scrivener is more helpful for me during editing. I also like Scrivener’s ability to compile a project into a classically formatted manuscript format, ready for submission to traditional publishers. But as someone who has a Windows PC, a Linux laptop, and a mobile tablet that travels with me everywhere, I need a tool that isn’t stuck to any particular operating system.

So there’s my two cents! LOL

2 Likes

Hmm…

I have my offline programs, and then my online programs. Offline, I use Microsoft Word, Scrivener, WordPad (yes, WordPad!), and even Notepad. I use a PC, obviously. Online, I use Google Docs, StackEdit, Writer (bighugelabs), and now Dabble. I love them all and they all have their purposes. I plan on finding and using more!

For me, Word is the #1 editing software. I’ve been using it since Windows 98, and I’m not going back. I eventually compile everything I write and edit there. Scrivener is for organization and construction of stories/projects. WordPad is for when I just have word vomit…which is often. Notepad is for notes and is immensely helpful for copying and pasting.

Google Docs is my online Word, StackEdit and Writer are for…many things? Hard to explain that one, but they help immensely for BBCoding and some CSS, which I do a lot of since I use World Anvil (though Notepad is really helpful, too). Whew, and lastly…Dabble. Dabble is an online Scrivener for me so teh second quaternity is complete!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

Also, I must note, I like to move around depending on how I feel. Sometimes, typing in a different “PC writing environment” helps me focus on whatever project/thing I am working on at the time.

Did I mention Notepad is also good for writing things like this?? :sweat_smile:

I hope that was somehow helpful! :joy: I feel like I just went on for no reason. I apologize if this is too long/wordy!

2 Likes

Dabble is my go-to tool for creating drafts of my novels. The plot grid feature is an absolute must at this stage. Once the draft is as good as it gets I export it out of Dabble as a DOCX file and convert that into Markdown format using Pandoc. For further editing I’ll use Scrivener 3. The final version of the manuscript goes to Vellum for clean PDF and ePub file production.

I do a lot of technical writing using Markdown so I like all my stuff saved in that file format, including my novel manuscripts. My go-to Markdown editor is Typora, a WYSIWYG editor that generally hides the markdown syntax and lets you edit directly in the rendered text.

4 Likes

Hi - I currently use both Scrivener AND Dabble. I had Scrivener first, but because Scrivener isn’t accessible from the cloud, I wanted to try Dabble for its online option. Dabble works better when I have a moment to write when I am away from my home computer. However, if I want to self publish (something that I am considering) Scrivener is the way to go as they have easy formats that link directly to Amazon, etc… Once you purchase a license for Scrivener, you don’t pay additional fees, so it’s nice to have both.

What I don’t like is transferring from Dabble to Scrivener. Beyond a laborious copy/paste, I haven’t figured that out. I’m open to suggestions!!

As far as distraction-free writing and customer support, Dabble wins hands down.

2 Likes

@Rob_Lovicz, I added you! Username for me is Tori-J.

@Chris, yeah it’s a bit annoying that you have to pay for it. But with my NaNo win last year I got 50% off, so only spend about $2 a month for it for 12 months. So long as I keep winning NaNo, it shouldn’t be a problem for me :stuck_out_tongue:

3 Likes

I wanna give a shout out to pen and paper!
Creativity is ignited in a different way, when you grab a pen and have a (plain/lined/squared/colored/dotted) notebook before you, with wrinkles and stains and your own handwriting adding to a visual experience as you fill lines and lines, flip forth and back pages.

Aching wrists and fond memories. Hours passed stuck on planes in snow and ice.

Transcribing is tedious though.

4 Likes

My handwriting is so bad that even I can hardly tell what I wrote. In high school, my friends used to call it Tori-glyphics. Not even kidding :sweat_smile:

So, white I have many pretty notebooks, none of them actually get used. They just… Sit there and look pretty, I guess.

But I still keep buying more :thinking:

2 Likes

:joy::joy: I feel you, I also sometimes buy notebooks just because they are pretty :smiley: and then never use them, cause I can’t decide what to use them for … recipes? grading student’s homework? a weight table? :joy::joy:

2 Likes

Dabble provides the option to export your manuscript to a TXT or to DOCX file. We can import these into Scrivener directly. Click on the name of your manuscript in the left hand pane, click the three vertical dots, and choose one of the export options.

How sweet it is! - Jackie Gleason

1 Like

Absolutely! I love to pull out my rocketbook and just write. It helps me with creativity sometimes.

2 Likes

I’m on Chris side. Not only do I like writing longhand, with a fountain pen, but my ideas flow better when done that way. On the computer, I often stop to search the thesaurus or a collocation dictionary, and that breaks my flow of thoughts. By hand, I write without censorship, anything that goes through my mind, without much care to grammar, spelling and vocabulary choice. That makes a really bad rough draught, but it gets the story on the page. Transcription is a pain, but I could start editing a little at the same time

2 Likes

Not long ago I purchased a fountain pen and now make a daily habit of filling a blank sheet of paper with spontaneous longhand writing. Good grief my longhand is not what it used to be! But writing with a fountain pen forces me to clear space on my desk, to relax the hand, to slow it down, to be more deliberate. It would be nice to be able to create beautiful longhand again.

Besides if you don’t use the pen for a while, it will tend to plug up and dry out, requiring a session with hot water and the sink and the installation of a new ink cartridge.

Plus it’s amazing the kind of fresh material can come out of that fountain pen. What a wonderful tool.

3 Likes

@Rob_Lovicz I got a rocketbook now, too! I am excited to put it to use, but will probably use it for work (meeting minutes etc.).
And @Eric_Cote, yes indeed, a little editing while transcribing is definitely possible and necessary.

3 Likes

I saw the Rocketbook in Target a few weeks ago. Intrigued me just a little. But after a few people mentioned it in here, I gave it a try and bought the executive version because of is compactness. But now I love it so much and has lead me to write so much, I’m going to buy a letter sized one to use at home and use the executive one on the go and at work.

I wasn’t crazy about the 0.7 sized pen. But soon discovered I could buy 0.5 ones on Amazon. (And I bought a cover for it as well, which I also love.)

3 Likes