Does anybody use Dabble along with another writing platform?

Looks awesome! Unfortunately, they don’t offer all their products in Europe yet :frowning: .

1 Like

This is the first I’m hearing of it, so I don’t think I have any of their products in Australia yet! Hopefully soon, I’d love to try it out.

2 Likes

You can try their website getrocketbook.com and see where they redirect you :slight_smile: .

Did we even mention what makes it so awesome?

• It’s everlasting - microwave or wipe it clean and you can reuse the pages!
  • … and the digital integration: Just take a photo/scan a page and you can save it in your dropbox, on google drive, evernote, or or send to some email adress etc. etc. - seven different locations are supported as of now … soooo cool! :smiley:
2 Likes

I’ve fallen into that writer’s trap of trying a bunch of different writing apps instead of writing :unamused:

I currently use Ulysses and Shaxpir along with Dabble. Trying to decide which is going to be my primary app.

It’d be great if someday Dabble is able to export in official manuscript format. I’m not keen on the idea of exporting into another app to do edits and what not. I’d love to do everything in one app.

2 Likes

I use Evernote a lot for research bits and bobbles - I find Scrivener’s limitation to one device to be too limiting. I’d imagine Dabble and Evernote will be my go-tos

3 Likes

Thanks for mentioning 4thewords! I just signed up. Looks like a lot of fun. I’ve often thought that gamifying my writing would be a good way to motivate myself. So we’ll see how it goes. My username is Thanem.

3 Likes

@Crimedoctor I just added you! Username is Tori-j :smiley:

1 Like

Hey Crimedoctor

May I encourage you to define which publisher’s manuscript format you’re referring to and drop by the features request page to document your wishes.

• JR
1 Like

Dabble does export to official manuscript format. That’s the only format it provides for export actually, which is a bummer for those who want to share something with friends that looks a bit fancier.

1 Like

I have a question about 4thewords. I liked the idea, but after researching motivation I felt that external motivation like that would actually detract from the intrinsic motivation creativity provides. I’m hesitant to add gamification features to Dabble for this reason. E.g. if someone loves doing something and gets a job doing it, the passion can fade if the motivation turns from creating to money.

In your experience has 4thewords affected your creativity or quality of work at all (positively or negatively)? Is the motivation short-lived? Does it hurt your motivation to write after using 4thewords when you are not using it?

What’s your experience?

1 Like

Sorry about that Jacob. I didn’t look closely enough before I posted that. Thank you!

1 Like

So far I’m of two minds about gamification and writing. On the one hand, I could see the motivation of “if I write 500 words I can get some more loot”. On the other hand, the game part of it adds more busy work which takes away from my writing time. If I spend 10 minutes crafting items and outfitting my character, that’s 10 minutes I could have been writing. Guess it depends on the individual and what works for them. It’s still early days for me on 4thewords so I’m not sure exactly how I feel about it yet.

1 Like

At heart, I’m competitive.

That’s probably my biggest motivator, to be honest. I finish NaNo every year because I can’t stand the thought of not getting to 50K. I’m stubborn in Camp because, no matter what, I need to hit that goal.

I find that for me it’s an excellent motivator, however I can understand why some people would find it a massive turn off.

Now saying that I’m on a 202 day streak on 4thewords. I started using it in Feb after some friends from my NaNo region were talking about it. For me, the drive to get just a few more words in helps me to keep going. I only need to write 444 words in a day; but I find that after I do that one sprint, and got that base goal, I don’t want to stop because I’m on a roll, it’s sounding good, and I’m enjoying what I’m doing. Because I’m competitive, I don’t like losing to the monsters, so I get the loot, and then I can turn in the quests and get new stuff! It’s rather materialistic, but it’s enjoyable. I find that the time spent turning in the quests is a good down time in between sprints, especially in between big monsters. Give it a minute, I’ve recharged and am keen to keep going.

I’ve also found that because it’s only 444 words, that’s really easy for me to maintain. So, because I don’t want to lose my streak (you get wings at streak milestones, two weeks, one month, three months, six months and then at each year mark) and I really want the wings for the thrid year (they’re on fire), even on days when I’m not really feeling the writing big, I can sit down and smash out my 444 words. It keeps me writing even on days when I would have skipped otherwise, meaning I get more practice and I usually get something usable out of it.

The quantity of my work has increased greatly since using 4thewords. Personally, I think the quality has too, because I’m writing more and getting more practice. Of course, I still ahve the times when I reread and ask myself what the heck I was thinking, because I’m certain my two-year-old nephew could create something better, but don’t we all have those?

In summary, because I’m sorry, this is a very long post, I’ve had a positive increase in quality and quantity, my creativity is usually flowing better, my motivation has been long lived and I haven’t had it negatively impact my creativity not using it.

:smiley:

4 Likes

I use Scrivener and Dabble. I’m on a Mac. Dabble is far better at smooth, distraction-free writing on the web and reliable synching. However, Dabble desktop is currently not working on the new Catalina Mac OS, so I’m in trouble traveling internet areas (RVing). Scrivener is solid on the desktop but it’s iPad/iPhone versions are clunky as heck with Dropbox. I’ve got a week to figure out which I’ll use for NaNoWriMo.

1 Like

Dabble actually works great offline. Just bookmark https://app.dabblewriter.com/ so it is easy to open it when offline (since you can’t find it with Google offline). The desktop app is actually just a dedicated Chrome browser wrapper that loads that URL above, so it is just a convenience for launching Dabble. When you are online, Dabble will sync up.

1 Like

does this also work on iPad (writing in Dabble App then syncing later)?

1 Like

Dabble works in iPad…sort of. It isn’t a great experience and isn’t optimized for iPad. But I am working on mobile support to get Dabble working well on tablet and mobile well so you can work online/offline on any device with a browser. I think we’re all excited for that.

2 Likes

My NanoWriMo project for this year is being written in Dabble.
My files are all kept in Scrivener and compiling is going to be done in Scrivener.

1 Like

Because of the Chrome wrapper, do you believe Chrome works better than Safari?

1 Like

Chrome is the browser Dabble is developed in, so browser-specific bugs are likely to only show up in other browsers. I just fixed a couple of Firefox bugs Monday, for example. We do support Chrome, Firefox, and Safari, so any issues in any of them should be reported. And Edge 76 finally has full support for IndexedDB, the browser database, so we can support Edge soon with some updates and testing.

If you have no preference, Chrome may be the slightly better choice, but they all should be good.