Craft your story

Dabble Community

Extend quotation over more than one paragraph

Does Dabble handle the situation where a quotation runs for two or more paragraphs? I was taught to leave the quotation open at the end of the first paragraph and then use quotation marks at the start of the second paragraph. Dabble moans at me when I do this …

2 Likes

I was taught the same. ProWritingAid complains about this. I’m not sure what is correct. I could complain to PWA about it if this is incorrect behavior.

1 Like

Sounds like a job for GrammerGirl. :smile:

1 Like

Or the Chicago Manual of Style. I’ll see what I can learn.

1 Like

Here are some resources: The Editors Blog which says Dialogue may stretch across paragraphs without pause. To punctuate, put a terminal punctuation—period, question mark, or exclamation point— at the end of the first paragraph. There is no closing quotation mark at the end of this paragraph.

Begin the next paragraph with an opening quotation mark.

Follow this pattern for as long as the dialogue and paragraphs continue. At the last paragraph, use a closing quotation mark at the end of the dialogue.

“He was my best friend. I told you that, didn’t I? And then he stabbed me in the back. Stole my wife and my future. I hated him for that. Still do. Hate him bad.

“But he’s been punished, yes he has. He went to jail for embezzling thousands. Not even millions. Just thousands. Serves him right, the petty crook. He’s just a petty man.”

Guide to Grammar which says In proofreading and editing your writing, remember that quotation marks always travel in pairs! Well, almost always. When quoted dialogue carries from one paragraph to another (and to another and another), the closing quotation mark does not appear until the quoted language finally ends (although there is a beginning quotation mark at the start of each new quoted paragraph to remind the reader that this is quoted language).

Modern Language Association Style Center

National Punctuation Day
Multiple paragraphs of dialogue
To punctuate, put a terminal punctuation—period, question mark, or exclamation point— at the end of the first paragraph. There is no closing quotation mark at the end of this paragraph. Begin the next paragraph with an opening quotation mark.

3 Likes

That is pretty much what I found as well, and what I remembered from those far off Grammar and Clause Analysis lessons with Mr (Gabby) Hayes

1 Like