Craft your story

Dabble Community

FEATURE IDEA: Option to see scene notes while writing a scene

Right now, while writing a scene, to see the scene notes, you click on the scene card in the right column. However, the scene card and notes overlay the writing area and you can neither write nor see your writing.

Would be nice to have the option to have the scene notes open within the right column, as below. That way, you can look at your notes while you write.

4 Likes

I would LOVE this.

2 Likes

Seconded. (Or thirded!)

1 Like

Newer feature: if your monitor is large enough to expand the right pane, the cards will shift to their full size when you make the right side big enough. See here:

4 Likes

That is awesome! That addresses one of my issues. I’ve also found that I can drag the border of the right-hand rail to the left in order to enable a complete view of my notes. I’m working on a 21" monitor.

1 Like

This going to change my life.

1 Like

This works fine in the web version, but does not work with the downloaded desktop app for mac os.

1 Like

One big benefit to this.

It helps me to readily see what I want to happen within a scene. Up until now, the only way I could do this is actually create a scene for ever event within a scene. That way I would always see these events in the left navigation. Then I would collect the scenes in a chapter and treat my chapters as scenes. Then to delineate what scenes made up a chapter, I created dividers by making a chapter who’s title was a bunch of hyphens.

(The other way I would do this is flesh out all my events, scenes and chapters in a mindmap like MindMeister. Then I would split my screen and put my mindmap on one side and Dabble on the other. Obviously not very tenable on small screens. Also, it became too much work keeping the two in sync.)

There are many obvious downsides to this. I have too many scenes. I’m treating chapters as scenes. And plot grids became hard to follow because there were so many scenes. I would have to scroll more to get a handle on all the sub plots.

But now I can make scenes be actual scenes. That’s because I can put the list of events that I want to happen within the scene in the body of the scene card, as bullets, and I can always see those bullets in the expanded scene card in the right column. Furthermore, I can brainstorm and write further notes in the scene card’s body as well.

So now my plot grids can function as true scene-based plot grids. I can see more of the elements of the subplots without having to scroll as much.

Awesome work, Jacob!

1 Like

That’s excellent thanks Jacob - can’t believe I didn’t notice that before!! :slight_smile: Such a good feature…just wondered…is there a way to hide the goals and stats without getting rid of them? I mean in the sense that you just click on them now and then to see where you are rather than always visible? Not a big deal - just curious…thanks again

1 Like

Just curious as well - and not sure if i can explain this but here goes and maybe you can already do it!! - so on the right you can have the cards relevant to that scene which is brilliant - but is there a way to display on the right all of the scenes for the whole book as you can see them in Plot/Book Scenes? I mention it because i often find myself having to whizz back or forwards to other chapters or scenes to make a note to add/delete something or to check on say, a character description or name of something or something like that as i go. At the moment i’m jumping in and out of a google doc open in the next tab to make a quick note so that i don’t lose my train of thought - but to do that staying in Dabble and quickly scrolling up and down thru the whole book in that right panel would be brilliant!! For example, scrolling quickly back to chapter 2 from chapter 5 to make a note about foreshadowing something without moving from the chapter 5 scene in the main centre writing panel - so your eye would barely come off what you’re doing right now. I recently started using a 24 inch monitor which is great…know nothing about coding so apologies if i’m on about something massive/impossible/impractical!! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Ahhh?!?! Thinking about it - guess i could have the Plot/Scenes part of Dabble open in the next tab!!! Would that work? Wouldn’t mess up the sync or anything? Thanks again! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yes! Click on the header “Goals & Stats” to toggle the section open/close.

Yes, that would work. And the Book Scenes plot line, which contains all the scenes of the book, may be perfect for that. You might even have enough room on the monitor to have it visible next to the main window.

Actually I knew that thanks Jacob - I was just testing everybody…ahem…!!! :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

Yep that’s great thanks Jacob - having a fiddle with having the plot cards open in the next tab and/or having them open in a split screen - either way it’s great having all the cards visible or within a click!! It’s great how Dabble let’s me jump about…Am a bit of a late convert to big monitors and can’t imagine how i used to get by just with the laptop screen - anyway, thanks again :slight_smile:

1 Like

Late to the party, but this is great, Jacob.

1 Like