Font Issue

Last time I was in Dabble, I noticed a weird thing going on with the font. The tops of certain letters are dark and thick as though they were bolded. But, it’s just the tops of the letters (T, E, F).

I thought it might be something with my computer but, I’ve seen the issue pop up on multiple PC’s. And, I tried tweaking different display settings too. Nothing fixed it. Not sure what might be causing it.

1 Like

The font looks almost blotchy to me on my computers I use. It’s very disorienting at times.

1 Like

Are you using the Chrome browser? I don’t think the font (Source Sans Pro) renders as nicely in Chrome as it does in Firefox – not the first time I have seen that happen with a font.

1 Like

Catherine,

Thanks for this note! I have found that the font looks just fine in Firefox, as opposed to Chrome. However, I am still seeing it when I download and install the local app on my PC. Any thoughts on how I might fix that?

2 Likes

the desktop app uses chromium which is what powers chrome too so no way to fix that.

1 Like

That’s interesting. Makes me wonder why then the issue shows up in Chrome and not Firefox. :thinking::thinking::thinking: Hmmmm… But, it also makes sense. If I’m not mistaken, the desktop version is a PWA (Progressive Web App), so the Chromium shell doesnt surprise me. But the font Issue showing up in Chrome and not Firefox is intriguing. Perhaps I should chat support. Maybe it’s an issue they’re not aware of. I’ll put it this way; when I first started using Dabble (many many months ago) the font displayed normally. This makes me think that there’s been some update to the Chrome/Chromium software that caused this to crop up.

2 Likes

It’s very possible. It’s also possible the font at google changed if Jacob is using their version of it and not a downloaded copy, however that’s probably not likely since I’m not sure the desktop app would work well.

Firefox uses webkit which Chrome/Chromium forked off of years ago. I don’t think they use the same rendering engine anymore. I think Chrome/Chromium names it Blink… but that is me and my bad memory trying to think of things.

@Jacob will eventually read here. and hopefully tagging him will bring him sooner.

1 Like

NaNoWriMo prep has me busy, but you’re right. I’ll eventually read it here. I saw this recently and thought it was a Windows issue. Perhaps chrome on windows? Could everyone who sees the letter T with a bold cross line on the top let me know if they are on Windows or Mac? This will help me. Another possible cause is Retina display or not. Zoom level. I’ll see if I can include a fix in the next update.

Hi @Jacob! It happens when I’m using Chrome or the desktop app on Win10. Thanks!

1 Like

Windows 10 here too. My Alpha has the same issue and I’m pretty sure she’s windows too.

1 Like

I’m on Windows 10 using the web app. I see the font issue on Chrome quite clearly, even if I am just looking at the font sample page: https://fonts.google.com/specimen/Source+Sans+Pro?selection.family=Source+Sans+Pro

1 Like

I’ve only just started getting this as well. Windows 10 on an MSI laptop using Chrome as the browser.

1 Like