Formatting

Hello All,
This is going to sound like a silly question to all of you who have been writing recently. I have gone from writing and come back due to circumstances I had no control over.
Anyway, I have been noticing that now in the things I read one whole space is placed between the paragraphs of the writing. This was never done before in manuscript formatting. Is this due to the ebook formats, and should I format to allow for this in my work?
Thanks for any and all help.

2 Likes

You can use whatever formatting you like. Dabble has a few options that are display only for the writing process. Some are typical manuscript formatting but there is the modern way with the space between paragraphs.

Exporting to Microsoft word will put them into typical manuscript formatting. However you can change the formatting options to display the new modern formatting by changing the settings of the styles. And then revert back to the formal manuscript without having to add or remove extra spaces. Google Docs is also capable of this formatting changes.

So the question is which one do you prefer as a display option while you write.

My suggestion is NEVER add in that extra space manually always use the formatting settings in your editor. (example programs Word, Scrivener, Google Docs) UNLESS you are using a straight up text editor that has no formatting options (example programs Sublime Text 3, Notepad)

3 Likes

Yeah, I know how to do it in Word. I just didn’t know if the space was the norm now in published works. I’m kinda out of the loop. I want to publish electronically and wasn’t sure what was expected. Thanks for the input. It is very much appreciated.

2 Likes

I don’t know if there is a standard. I’ve seen it both ways with ebooks. But it is also a matter of whether or not the formatter did it one way or the other. Me personally I’d use the extra space for electronic reading. It gives the reader’s eyes a break on a back light screen which I think is necessary. Walls of text in my opinion are hard to read and a Tab just doesn’t cut it.

2 Likes

I like it. I will do the same for the same reason. I thank you for your very helpful input. You have made me see it in a different light. Thanks much.

2 Likes

Let me agree 100% with this advice. One should not do formatting by adding spaces, tabs and newlines. That is for your style sheet. Want more space between paragraphs? Tweak your paragraph style. Want indented first lines? Paragraph style.

3 Likes

I have always been a fan of setting my formatting in style. There’s no real advantage of imposing it manually. I agree totally.
I am trying, as an older writer, not to format my writing in a way that will be difficult or unusual for today’s readers to read. I come from the time of the slush piles and elevator pitches. Tabs and one-and-a-half-inch margins were the norm.
What I read now looks so much different–digital works anyway. I appreciate everyone’s input implicitly. I have a little catching up to do.

2 Likes