Hello! I’m a newbie and need help

Hi everyone! This is my third or fourth day using the Dabble browser. I have to admit this seems like a lot easier to use than when I tried using scrivener. Anyway, let me start from the beginning:

I have dreamt of being a writer ever since I was a little girl. I’m a voracious reader, I am highly imaginative, and I come up with so many ideas that I barely have time to write them down. My biggest curse however is I have very little patience when it comes to technology. I can use my phone just fine, but I have gone back and forth between programs because I can never truly get into the writing style due to the program constantly blocking my flow. I’m sure writing the old fashion way is also an option, but my hands can’t keep up with my brain.

Anyway, I’m currently just writing some fanfiction just to get myself back in the groove as far as writing goes. Basically, I want to write a couple of for-fun stories until I’m ready to write anything serious for publication.

I’m currently working on a multi plotted Story. I read the articles about plot grids and plot lines, but it’s a lot harder to do than I realize. The examples do sort of help play it out, but I wanna make sure I’m doing it right before I get too deep into it. Do you guys struggle with the plot grids at all as far as trying to work out scenes with characters in such and such?

5 Likes

Everyone seems to be struggling with the plot grid and plot lines it’s a highly requested tutorial so don’t worry. I have plans to create one myself to share with fellow dabblers. I’ll add Multi-Plot to my list :slightly_smiling_face:

5 Likes

That would be awesome! Thank you!

2 Likes

There are no right or wrong ways of using the plot grid.

Here’s how I use it.

I have my main plot all in one line, this is the story driving plot – the reason there is a story. I have a second line for my romance, and any additional lines for other plots that are necessary. Not all scenes have all the plots.

I also have a plot line for Date/Time, Setting, and one for Notes, these lines do have a card for every scene even if it’s blank so that while I’m writing or editing I can make notes on them.

4 Likes

Well it’s nice to know that I don’t need to follow a strict format when it comes to the plot grids/lines. Still, I want to make sure I’m not accidentally making it harder for myself when I do this.

I guess I should be honest about what I’m actually working on. Right now, I’m just doing a fan fiction story based on one of my favorite movies. (It’s been years since I’ve properly written something and I want to practice with this before I do anything original). This move had an ensemble cast of characters and I’m trying to create smaller plots that tie into this major plot. There will be romance in one, comedy in another, and even an unlikely friendship. I figured the best way to craft it would be just take each character(s) and plot out there different story lines and try to weave them.

I know this is going to sound frustrating, but I work better with step-by-step explanations and visual examples. Are there any videos online that do the same thing I’m doing?

1 Like

ah so you’re doing character-arcs, that makes sense. As far as I know there isn’t any tutorial videos specifically geared towards working within Dabble (but I’m working on that and Jacob’s well aware of my project so they will also be shared on the site itself :slightly_smiling_face:)

1 Like

I’ve been using Dabble for about three months now and my approach is pretty much identical to AJ_Hunter’s. Most scene’s don’t have all the cards, and some of the cards are empty, just there to show that something is supposed to happen.

I’ll be honest, I’ve added and deleted a bunch of columns over time as I worked this out and it does seem to be the most workable approach.

2 Likes

I have been using Dabble for a few months. I find the outline function a bit problematic because it breaks it down into too much detail. Further, it doesn’t really help with things like plot points without having to tailor every story layout. I do like the chapter layout with the scenes as well as the word count functionality. Spell-check and grammar are awesome as is the export function. I use Evernote templates for outlining, character biographies, world-building, timelines etc. and just flip back and forth.
Evernote will help with your idea elements because you can set up a notebook to track all of that and no mess up your work.

1 Like

No I haven’t heard of Evernote. Is that another subscription-based program? My free trial just ended so I’m trying to decide which package to go with

1 Like

Evernote is a note taking app. It’s free unless you upgrade to premium then it becomes subscription based. I personally use Notion (which is free) and GoodNotes(a 1 time purchase of $8) but I have heard good things about Evernote so it’s really a matter of preference.

3 Likes

I swear by Notion. I use it for everything including study notes, random writings, planning, kanban boards, to-do lists, brain-dumps, etc.
I used to use Evernote but Notion is much more flexible and versatile regarding what you can do with it.

3 Likes