How do you backup your work?

Dabble has the ability to export to word or a text file. Under Preferences, Dabble lets you export the database from the server or local.

How do you use these tools on a regular basis to make sure that you are back up? Why did you choose that method?

1 Like

After each writing session, I export a Word copy of the manuscript I am working on. If I have worked on the Plot or Story notes (which is often), I also go in and export the project file from the server and export the local database.

I’ve worked in IT for years and have gotten paranoid about backups so this is probably overkill.

2 Likes

whispers I don’t back up while using Dabble. I should. But it’s in the cloud, it’s saved locally on my computer while I have the app open. So I make he assumption that it’s good enough.

If an export to markdown or other formats become available I might do that regularly and throw them in a git repo so I can back up changes and such. But I rely on the multiple copies of dabble I use and the cloud.

2 Likes

The local database includes everything, all projects, preferences, billing info, etc. You’re probably ok just backing up the project file which is just the one project and grabbing the whole database less frequently. But it’s totally up to you.

1 Like

During NaNoWriMo or other writing projects I’ll make a daily export to both DOCX and TXT formats into a folder synchronized with Dropbox.

Dabble makes good use of the cloud to keep our data intact. And there are copies of my work on multiple computers inside the default web browser as well.

Perhaps the main concern is that Jacob somehow winds up apparently violating his cloud vendor “terms of service” and we all find ourselves shut out of our manuscripts. I don’t know if this is even possible as I only just now gave voice to the thought.

1 Like

I usually export to docx when I am revising/editing, as I prefer to print out and read on actual paper (and mark stuff to edit). That’s not very frequent. Just as AJ, I trust highly in the multiple saves that Dabble does itself. I might have just about one (outdated) version of each project saved somewhere, including a publication :stuck_out_tongue:.

Only (closed-to-being) finished work is usually in many different places.

1 Like

I’m not sure how I could even do this if I tried. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes: Google manages Dabble’s database at scale across multiple regions. Dabble has had problems from time to time, but it has all been on the computer. Once data has been saved to the cloud, we’ve never lost anything.

When at-home school first started and services couldn’t keep up with the demand, I joked with my wife that Dabble would have been able to handle it. It can scale to millions of concurrent writers and petabytes of data, but the most we’ve had concurrently is in the single-digit thousands. I don’t imagine we will ever need the scale, but it makes me feel safe. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I export to Word when I can be bothered/remember to, but mostly trust the cloud, since it’s been practically faultless in all my time using Dabble. My need for redundancy would be soothed by a Dropbox/Google Drive daily backup, like Novlr uses, but it’s not a dealbreaker considering Dabble is overall a much nicer user experience.

4 Likes

I think it would be great to do automatic daily backups as well.

Just know that because a feature doesn’t exist in Dabble, it isn’t necessarily because we don’t want to do it. It is more likely because it isn’t as high a priority as other items and will be done eventually once it can get attention.

2 Likes

Every now and again I export things to txt or docx so I hace a backup, but not very often. I too trust Jacob and Dabble.
No pressure Jacob. None at all. :sweat_smile:

1 Like

Do mind my asking how long you have been using Dabble?

1 Like

Sure! Been using it since May 2019, and I think I started using it seriously as of May 2020. :slightly_smiling_face:

Edit: logged in to the wrong account, but it’s the same person!

1 Like

Thank you… :slight_smile:

1 Like

How can I export my notes?

1 Like

at present there is no way. I don’t even know if Jacob can do anything.

3 Likes

In the Account Preferences under Data Management you can export your local database to JSON format. From there you’d have to parse the JSON. When I tried to convert it to Markdown format using Pandoc:

pandoc -f json Testing\ Paste-2021-06-11T00_51_31.320Z.json  -t markdown Testing.md

JSON parse error: Error in $: mempty

The intent of this JSON export is “for later recovery.” I suppose it would be nice to have a documented procedure for doing so :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The database export is the raw data being stored on your machine and can be used for backups that are restorable in Dabble.

Export of story notes and plotting is on the feature list.

2 Likes

I don’t know if json that is given by dabble is usuable in pandoc. I don’t know what the json feature does in pandoc, but dabble stores the documents in deltas (I believe the attached document is where Jacob started from) Theoretically pandoc could create the documents as it contains all the formatting but I do not see a converter listed in their API. And the delta’s all have your history. I just looked at my current WIP and I my prowriting aid edits are additional edit. So pandoc would need to convert the deltas from beginning to end. All plausible but at present there isn’t a parser for pandoc to my knowledge.

2 Likes

I would love this feature. I am nervous about all the work I have done on outlining my next 12 books and losing that work.

1 Like