How do you practically use the plot to refer to while writing?

In Scrivener, I would have my writing in the middle, and my plot summary/notes on the right of the screen so I could refer to them as I wrote.

In Dabble, I can have scene notes, but to read them I have to click on them? And then I can’t type in my manuscript at the same time as having the notes open. Is that right?

If so, how do you normally refer to your plot while writing? Or do you perhaps have two windows of Dabble open so that you can look at your notes in one of them, and type in the other?
Or do you not refer to your plot again once you’ve made it? :slight_smile:

Also, in the Plot Grid, is there any way to link all the horizontal cards together, so that if I move a Scene down a few rows the corresponding cards move with it? Or should I move them all manually?

3 Likes

In Dabble, I can have scene notes, but to read them I have to click on them? And then I can’t type in my manuscript at the same time as having the notes open. Is that right?

If so, how do you normally refer to your plot while writing? Or do you perhaps have two windows of Dabble open so that you can look at your notes in one of them, and type in the other?
Or do you not refer to your plot again once you’ve made it? :slight_smile:

Yes this is right. I typically keep my notes short so I can refer to the general idea of that note, and then click on it if I need more info.

Also, in the Plot Grid, is there any way to link all the horizontal cards together, so that if I move a Scene down a few rows the corresponding cards move with it? Or should I move them all manually?

If you move the Scene card it should move the whole row * goes to try it out * huh, I thought it did that. For now that is something you will have to do manually.

But all of these are valid suggestions. You should checkout the Features and the Road map and add the suggestions or up vote ones that already exist.

Personally I keep my notes short that I NEED to see while writing and keep it all in the header.

2 Likes

@AJ_Hunter has a fantastic point!
I do however use my phone to bring up the card for the scenes I’m writing if I have long notes. and some are doozies.
I have about 6 scenes with about 1k worth of notes because I wrote the notes while away from my computer and had a strong vision for the scene.

1 Like

If you move the scene in the left pane (or manuscript card view) it will move the entire row. If you move it in the plot grid, it gives you more control over it so will not move the whole row.

1 Like

I knew there was a way to move the row cause I’ve done it lol.

1 Like

OK thanks!

I was wondering if there’s a particular reason for the design decision not to show the chapter notes whilst in the editor?
It’s not just Dabble. I’ve been experimenting with a few other competitors and it seems to be a frequent occurrence - no ability to view your chapter notes and your writing at the same time.

I feel like I’m taking crazy pills. Am I the only writer who looks at the scene notes while they are writing a scene?? is there some alternative work-flow I’m completely oblivious to which allows you to see your notes and write at the same time?
This isn’t a criticism as such, but more of a… desire for understanding. I can’t wrap my head around why chapter notes wouldn’t be visible without having to click away. I feel like I’m missing something obvious that everyone else must be doing.

At the moment I think my best workflow would unfortunately be to create my book outline and chapter notes in another app (google docs) and have the two windows side by side so I can refer to them while I write. As the Dabble plots aren’t currently exportable, it means not using the Dabble plot gridline to make the plot :frowning:

I’m basically looking for a cloud based alternative for Scrivener, but the core functionality of being able to look at your notes and write at the same time doesn’t seem to exist in any other competitor and I can’t understand why. Argh.

Someone else mentioned using their phone as a second screen for their notes. I guess that could work. But as a full-time writer that’s a level of inconvenience I don’t particularly want to add into my workflow!

2 Likes

Dabble is browser based and you can have as many tabs open as you need into a project. Changes anywhere sync up fine. I use that when I need to see different parts at the same time. Most browsers have hotkeys to shift between tabs and those help to flip back and forth quickly.

I would speculate that the decision to not show the whole card may be related screen space. Since it is in the left bar, it is skinny. I would probably only get one notecard on the screen as it would be long and would need to scroll to see the rest. Showing title only allows for all my cards to be visible w/o scrolling.

1 Like

I don’t typically have massive notes. So dabble works for me. My outline consists of single sentences. And if I have multiple notes I typically make multiple cards. In my edit phase however, I am putting the goal/conflict/disaster stuff into the note card itself, but this is after the fact and not while I’m writing.

I don’t think you are missing anything. And I’d like to add you can have two dabble windows open at the same time. And with the mobile version of it now you can minimize the sidebars to open up real estate on the browser window so that you can see both at the same time. But they won’t scroll together. This might be a good suggestion to add to the feature requests.

1 Like

This is a valid question, and I will do my best to answer.

The short answer is space. Dabble works on many different devices and screens and while some of us have huge monitor screens, most have smaller screens that only allow for the small card size to fit. So to accommodate most people, I used this paradigm of a title to help you remember the main points that need to be addressed in the scene, while a click can help you remember specific details. In addition to screen size, a lot of people do tend to gather 10 plot lines or more as they plot their story, and even having 10 small cards on that space on the right they don’t all fit on the screen.

Dabble changes its layout as the screen gets smaller, so it isn’t crazy to consider we could display the full cards in the right column when that column is made bigger. That way those with big screens can take advantage of all the empty space. If you think that would be valuable, add it to https://dabble.featureupvote.com. That may be of interest to more writers.

3 Likes

Not crazy, and nope! Not the only one. When I write in Google docs, the right sidebar has Keep (notes app) that I use to add/reference notes while writing which is helpful.

2 Likes

@David Happy Halloween!!!

Why doesn’t this happen for me, when I expand the right pane?? They stay small

1 Like

You have to expand it large enough. It might also be that your screen resolution is less than the media query that allows it to get bigger.

Do you know your resolution?

1 Like

Are you using the downloaded app version as there is an issue with it not enlarging the notes when you expand the right hand pane? I have reported this to Jacob and he confirms it is an issue he’s looking to resolve. It works ok with the web version.

4 Likes

Thank you, this was the reason! Was using the downloaded app

1 Like

I hope to fix this soon.

1 Like

I use two screens - both with dabble open - so you can look at notes or anything else in one screen and type in the manuscript or scene on the other screen …

2 Likes