How to make breaks in chapters

Finally working on a short story and I need a transitioning scenes. Like when you read a book and you see a gap or a few *** to indicate a break. Can Dabble do it for you or do I need to apply it myself?

1 Like

When writing short stories I create a book called Short Stories. Then I have a chapter for each story, into which I add the scenes. Dabble automatically places *** between each scene. Then when I’m finished I export just that chapter with the chapter number not used and the chapter title as the short story title.
Hope that helps.

4 Likes

And in case you’re not sure how to create new scenes, check out Creating New Content | Dabble Help Center.

1 Like

Dabble will automatically parse hash marks on paste as new scenes. I just needed to split an overlong scene in two separate I typed a hash mark on a new line at the break point, cut the whole document, pasted it and… Voilà it was now two scenes just as I wanted.
Not as quick as a split shortcut but this was on an android tablet so it wouldn’t have worked anyway.

3 Likes

Hi there, I just posted a new topic, but maybe you can help. I am trying to do exactly this. I’ve pasted in several chapters from a past writing software I used, and it did this automatically. I was very excited to see that! However, I’ve been test-typing a chapter and added the single # mark, and nothing. I’ve cut and pasted it directly back in, and nothing. The only way it wants to do this for me is if I paste it into a separate window and then paste it back, and then it separates it. Am I missing something? /

2 Likes

No, we added an Import on Paste feature which is what did that to start. We still need to make this easier with right-click or Ctrl Enter or something helpful. Sorry it isn’t there yet!

2 Likes

Thanks so much for responding. It definitely did help with the importing!

3 Likes