Importing A Word Doc

Is there a way to take a manuscript currently housed in a word doc and simply import it into Dabble?
I just started using this program and I’m loving it but one of my larger manuscripts is in a word doc, I’d love to work on it with Dabble. Previously I just copy and pasted my stuff into a new Dabble project but this one is pretty big and just not wanting to save properly doing it that way.
So is there a way to import an existing file that I’m not seeing?

Thanks!

1 Like

At present there is no way to import. It is a feature Jacob will be working in the future. You can check out the feature road map for more information. Sadly I can’t grab the link on my phone. But I’m sure someone can or I’ll edit my post when I sit down at my laptop.

2 Likes

General Roadmap https://www.dabblewriter.com/roadmap
Requested Features https://dabble.featureupvote.com/

:slight_smile: Dabble has only ONE dedicated, full-time employee, so things develop in a pace we can enjoy and celebrate every single new feature.

3 Likes

:smile: I love that you look at it this way. I am constantly anxious for the features to come out faster! I would wish for 2 of me, but I’m an identical twin and know that unless I had mind-control of the other version, it doesn’t help. :laughing:

8 Likes

This is a fantastic idea for distopian fiction … cause what if you did? How to be sure YOU are the one who has the control?? :wink:

4 Likes

Chris, please write that. I so desperately want to read it. :joy:

3 Likes

One of my favorite American writers Philip K. Dick (best known for Blade Runner and Minority report) frequently let’s his characters question their identity. My favorite being “Impostor” which was also turned into a(n underrated, if you ask me) movie, where aliens are replacing people with their “twins” (programmed to go off as a bomb some place, some time). The MC is being accused of having been replaced and he tries all to prove humanity wrong on this one… but are they? Is he really who he thinks he is? Are we??
:slight_smile: Just thinking of the brilliant ending makes me cry!

2 Likes

I feel the pain. I’ve got a few manuscripts and I’d love to bring to bear on Dabble’s toolkit, Jacob has not yet found document import at the top of his Do list.

So the pain of copy and paste once scene at a time from your Word file into Dabble is the only way. But I continue to support Dabble and trust in Jacob to introduce an import feature sooner rather than later :wink:

1 Like

:sob: if only I could build all the things at once! I would. I totally would.

2 Likes

Allow me to share an appropriate inspirational quotation :slightly_smiling_face:

The Difficult We Do Immediately. The Impossible Takes a Little Longer

Reference

3 Likes

I just joined. All my writing is in Word/Office 365. What is the status of the import function? I assume I can cut and paste, but not having file import is a show stopper for me.

2 Likes

It is a planned feature but at present it is not available.

2 Likes

IMHO Jacob needs to elevate the import feature in its position on the Do List. Once people can import material into Dabble it will remove a major obstacle to adoption by adding an important use case - which is writers using it’s many features to work on their pre-existing work.

1 Like

Great point. After mobile support is released, I will be spending time on user onboarding to make starting with Dabble easier. That might be a great time to look at what an import feature would take.

1 Like

Import function status, please. Whether I join or not depends on Dabble having a way I can import from Word docx. Thanks.

2 Likes

At the moment from the roadmap we can only import through paste.

On the distant horizon Jacob has import from MS Word.

2 Likes

I’ve made it so pasting content into Dabble will break it up for you if you follow certain guidelines. See How do I import to Dabble? | Dabble Help Center.

2 Likes

Well, today is day 1 for using Dabble. I copied/pasted a .doc file into Dabble but the font was huge, centered and had only a few words on a line. Is there a way to format in Dabble?

2 Likes

Highlight the whole thing and you should see a right alignment button sort of pop up.

For formatting, open up your project where you’ll see “Project Settings” under the home arrow or whatever at the upper left corner.

I dunno if that helps.

You imported into the title area or the chapter area.

Taht’s why it’s centered and large

Click on the first scene in the left hand menu and then try pasting it in.

If you are in the manuscript or chapter area you can easily click the chapter or title field and it won’t always split things right.

2 Likes