Craft your story

Dabble Community

Is there a maximum word count for Dabble projects?

Hi all,

Just being curious, really – is there a maximum size for Dabble projects? I know we can add multiple books to a project but not sure if there’s any performance difference between having all series books in one project or in seperate books – are there any pros/cons or is it the same either way?

1 Like

Because I’m writing a series… I have over 300K in over 4 books. I know someone else here who has more.

Google docs crashes with large documents. I can’t keep even one book in a google doc. But I have had no issues with Dabble with the same book. It LOOKS like you have the whole document, but it’s really only loading a scene at a time. maybe a chapter at a time, bt as you scroll fast you’ll see the it pausing to load.

HOWEVER, if you write it all in one scene there is a performance issue. I crashed dabble yesterday cause I copied a whole google doc into A dabble scene and tried to search on the document.

1 Like

One of my in-progress novels is over 68,000 words. Dabble writer handles it with grace and aplomb.

In truth I’m not sure how to benchmark Dabble’s performance using any kind of tool. Terms like “grace and aplomb” are rather subjective, I’m afraid. One thing we can all agree on is that our writing tool should always be responsive and snappy.

Perhaps there is a mechanism available to developers like Jacob to make some kind of function call that returns Dabble’s refresh time and optionally display it. This is the sort of thing that PC gamers like to know, in their case it’s frame rates.

Let me finish by stating that Dabble has NEVER every crashed on me. Not even while running on the Raspberry Pi.

1 Like

Thanks Johannes! That’s great to know, especially about the performance on an R-Pi, that’s impressive stuff.

Perhaps there is a mechanism available to developers like Jacob to make some kind of function call that returns Dabble’s refresh time and optionally display it.

Love this idea in concept but I suspect in reality it might lead to Jacob getting too many support tickets from people with network issues/poor internet speeds.

I love this so much about Dabble! It’s so sturdy. I’ve run into issues occassionally (plot grids hate me in new Dabble v2, but Jacob’s working hard to sort those problems) but they’ve never stopped me from writing or made me fear losing work, which is so comforting. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Oh wow AJ! So that’s 300k in four books inside one project? That’s reassuring – definitely don’t need to fear slowdowns at higher wordcounts then. Do you find the plot grids handle well on that size of project?

Google docs crashes with large documents. I can’t keep even one book in a google doc.

Yeah, I have a lot of problems with Google Docs, Scrivener, and on rare occassions even MS Word struggling with some of my larger novels. I’m glad you haven’t seen this problem here! :heart:

1 Like

Heresy! :smile: Scrivener 3 on macOS Catalina has never ever crashed on me. Unfortunately I’ve been drinking heavily of the Linux Kool-Aid and it upsets me that Scrivener 3 is not available for Linux.

I love Dabble because I can run it in a web browser on any platform, even the charming Raspberry Pi 4B.

1 Like

Oh wow AJ! So that’s 300k in four books inside one project? That’s reassuring – definitely don’t need to fear slowdowns at higher wordcounts then. Do you find the plot grids handle well on that size of project?

I don’t have plot grids set up on any of my old stories, and I don’t plot per scene so it’s clunk for me to use the plot grid until after I’ve written the story so I don’t honestly know if it handles well but because each thing is loaded independently I expect it should handle things fine.

1 Like

The plot grid issues are mostly worked out. If you are seeing the error @Emma1, let me know in support and I will fix it. I have an outstanding ticket for dragging Parts/Chapters out/in of a novel into story notes that I will be fixing shortly.

The Find feature could use some performance improvements. That is on my list.

Other improvements include performance when you have hundreds-thousands of visible elements in the left-hand nav. I had a Dabbler who liked to create and delete a lot of chapters and found his low-end computer crawling one day after he opened the trash and thousands of story elements were displaying on screen. I can fix this. When I have time.

I have ideas about ways to fix large scenes so you could potentially have hundreds of thousands of words in a single scene without issue, but that work would take a lot of time to implement, and you all are probably more anxious for new features. I’ve only had one Dabbler trying to add 10ks of words in a scene before.

I can do performance audits using browser development tools which help me determine hot spots and optimize accordingly, but displaying this for writers wouldn’t be useful. They can feel if it is slow/sluggish. I still have work to do to make it faster, but prioritization puts it lower on the list right now because it is good enough.

1 Like

The Find feature could use some performance improvements. That is on my list.

Which is why I didn’t report it. I knew why it failed and the whole scene was sluggish, and one day I plan to break it out into scenes, but I’m lazy.

1 Like

This could be the programmer motto. We work hard to make things easier because we’re lazy. :laughing:

ABSOLUTELY!

The people I work for that’s what I tell them. I tell them, my job is to make your job easier. So get really upset if someone’s using something that’s ‘broken’ to them and they NEVER say anything. It’s like dude, if you THINK it’s broken it probably is and it probably needs to get fixed.

I’m going to agree with @Emma1 that instrumenting Dabble with a visible performance indicator would be counterproductive.

And I suspect that writers like @AJ_Hunter and @Johannes_Rexx are fond of stress-testing writing applications well beyond reason :smile: For example I created a 200,000-page text document just for this purpose. The winners of that contest are:

IMHO the most important improvement to Dabble would be a robust import from Markdown capability that’s instrumented to optionally clean up punctuation, strip out illegal characters, and perhaps even make a fresh pot of coffee :smile:

2 Likes