Craft your story

Dabble Community

Local folders

I’m considering switching from Scrivener to Dabble. The only thing stopping me is the potential data insecurity inherent to the online nature of your program.
With scrivener I have all my data backed up in versioning-allowing Dropbox.
It would be solved if I could automate dropbox back up of local Dabble files… for backup to make sense it needs to be automatic and not manual export.
For that I would need to know where is the local data of the project kept on windows and Mac systems. Could you please give me that information?

1 Like

Backup is automatic and continuous as data is stored simultaneously on cloud based severs and locally. As long as you don’t log out when closing the app the data stored locally is retained on your machine.
Also there are reports that Dropbox sync with Scrivener has been known to have problems, although I have never experienced any as long you allow the sync to finish before closing Scrivener.
I have also never lost any data with Dabble the sync works seamlessly.

1 Like

Yes, but I don’t know where that data is stored. I want to have my own backup not trust in anyone else’s. Additionally I’d like to have an option of versioning Dropbox would allow. Is the location of the files a secret?

2 Likes

I think it is stored within the browser. Jacob would be able to advise exactly where.

2 Likes

Jacob is working on versioning in an upcoming update.

2 Likes

As far as I can tell, all our data is held on a Google cloud database somewhere.

1 Like

But there’s supposed to be a local copy, too. I’d like to be able to do (versioned) backups of that copy. To do that I need to know which folder that is.

1 Like

If you contact Jacob via the chat option in the app, I’m sure he will explain everything to you, as he created and programmed the app. Us users only know so much. But I do know it is stored locally in the browser app and not in a folder that is accessible unless it is exported from the app.

1 Like

Doesn’t Jacob frequent these boards? I thought it better to ask here, as maybe somebody else could use the information …

1 Like

He does frequent them yes, but I think you will get a much quicker response from the help chat, it will give you a response time when submit your query. Jacob is very prompt at replying and very helpful.

1 Like

The info is stored in your browser in local storagee index db I think. It is not something you can typically access. There is no way to automate dropbox storage at this time. Every thing would be manual. You’d have to check the road map but I’m not sure local files is in it. Though it has been suggested before.

2 Likes

Thank you AJ! The idea is to tell Dropbox to keep the database folder synced. That way if something happens on the Dabble server’s end which causes the deletion of database I could recover it from Dropbox backup, open it in Dabble offline and export my work.

1 Like

You probably want to hit the feature request and add it. Though I think there are other dropbox syncing and other syncing ones, as well as local files.

https://dabble.featureupvote.com/

But there is definitely no automation to outside of the firebase syncing dabble already has.

At present there are two copies of your projects… one in the browser, and one on the server. You can download EVERYTHING in dabble, or just project for your own purposes that @Jacob can upload for you. (Or if you have multiple use location it’s also saved in those locations locally). But you can’t really access those locations easily.

I think there is another back up discussion where others talk about how they do back ups.

Some are complicated, but I trust dabble, and I should always have a copy on a computer somewhere, just make sure I put the device off the internet so it doesn’t sync and I can download it offline to that last state. I trust that Firebase backend is reliable and has it’s own backups.

1 Like

That is correct.

1 Like

When Dabble was first introduced and I did my first NanoWriMo with it, I would make a daily export of my work in both TEXT and DOCX file formats. It was in retrospect an abundance of caution and I lost nothing. Never have with Dabble.

Dabble stores the data inside the browser and it stays there unless you forcibly clear it out in the settings. Logging out won’t destroy it. It’s persistent.

By the way you can login to dabble with multiple web browsers both on the same computer and different ones, including iOS devices so a lot of copies of your work are distributed around. You just can’t lose data very easily. Plus Dabble works offline on the data stored in the browser.

But you want to know where the data is stored in the browser so you can back it up:

1. Launch your web browser and login to your Dabble account
  2. Right click in the windows and choose Inspect.
  3. A pane opens on the right hand side of the window
  4. Click the Application tab along the top
  5. Explore this area. You see all the Dabble stuff there. And a nice chart.
  6. Read about the actual storage location of this data. It depends on the browser and the OS.
  7. Do not press Clear Site Data
  8. That’s all I know!
5 Likes

Thank you Johannes I’m not sure I’m html savvy enough but I’ll try what you suggest!

1 Like

Sorry @Blazej_Dzikowski, I am more attentive to support than the forums though I am around here often enough.

I found this answer for the location of browser storage javascript - Browsers Storage - physical Location? - Stack Overflow. Hopefully that helps.

Dabble doesn’t store files like Scrivener does. It has a database that stores changes. So it is already versioned in that sense. Every change is stored on our cloud servers (Google Firestore is the database we use, and it is amazing for this). When you load your project, Dabble theoretically loads every change from creation to the last and replays them one after the other to re-create your project. In actuality, Dabble takes a snapshot of your project every 200 changes and just loads the most recent snapshot and replays less than 200 changes to re-create the latest version so that performance is good. This also means you don’t have to load thousands of changes from the server when you first login on a new device.

Our Versioning feature will allow you to view your project at any version (any change) since the beginning. We use it now for support, but it is rough and there are issues for projects with 100ks of changes downloading them all, so we’re working through those before release.

When you store data on Dropbox, you are still entrusting someone else with your data. I understand Dropbox is a big name and has more trust than Dabble, but we have never lost data once it has synced to our cloud. That being said, if you are able to back up the browser’s files to Dropbox, let us know how it works out! It shouldn’t affect Dabble’s sync, so if Dropbox corrupts files, your data should still be safe with Dabble. Maybe it will give you double protection.

2 Likes

Thank you Jacob, I am going to try that. I’m from the DOS era and I guess it’s our trait that we are only satisfied with the hands-on approach and dislike invisible services out of our reach :smiley:

1 Like

All those youngins and thur new-fangled cloud storage. :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

I’m using the desktop app and under preferences is a nice section about data management where you can export either your local storage or cloud storage etc.

Love the sarcasm! Looks like this!

You can choose the project you wanna backup or backup the entire database. This is where I would go if I would want to make a complete backup.

2 Likes