Moving Story and character notes from one book to the next in the series

Hi guys,
Just finished with my first book in a series and moved to Word for final editing (for the collab necessities of copy editing etc)
I’m starting on Book two but I have a ton of notes, character info, even the odd scene or two etc. in Book 1 that I want to move to Book 2 project. How do I do it? Please
I did check the FAQs - honest :slight_smile: And I can’t find anything helpful in here either.
Grateful for any advice

2 Likes

The option as of now is to copy/paste.

(Someone correct me if I’m mistaken).

2 Likes

Why not add a second book to the manuscript? That way your existing story notes are still right there in the left hand navigation pane.

3 Likes

Well, mostly because I’d be scrolling up and down through 110 scenes instead 55. Which is my idea of hell on earth :smiley:

Because my word counts would have to be on the 2nd book and I’d always have to make sure I was on exactly the right bit for it to be accurate. And honestly, I’m just not always that focused after a long writing session.

Because I’m starting to do some prep for NaNoWriMO and I wanted to keep the books separate.

Because it’s the 21st century? And we have computers.

Also I kind of like a ‘fresh new start’ with my existing notes. I’ll just copy-paste if there isn’t a solution but before I put myself through that utterly wasted and pointless day - I thought I would check there wasn’t a better solution.

Sorry, not mean to be snarky. But you did ask - and that’s why I’d prefer to do it a more elegant way.

I love dabble a lot and I am a supporter and a premium annual subscriber but I am also used to some of scrivener’s functionality. And yes I prefer Dabble for its world-beating, brilliant multi-device functionality where it far exceeds Scriv - but sometimes I also miss the time-saving logical stuff from Scriv.

2 Likes

Copy that. It’s important to have full control over one’s writing materials and Dabble has some friction in this area.

Given your premium level of support why not ping @Jacob and ask him to make a duplicate of your project? He does have all the power of the codes behind him.

2 Likes

@Johannes_Rexx
You are my favourite person of the week :purple_heart:
Thank you so much for changing the direction of my view of the problem, I was stuck down a rabbit hole wasn’t I :slight_smile:
Sincerely helpful.

I will just check that I can’t actually create a duplicate myself and if I can’t, I shall reach out to @Jacob (who yeah has been brilliantly helpful in the past.)

3 Likes

Can’t you add upo a new book in the same manuscript? I was under the impression that it would have its own word count and scene order, and it’s what I plan to do with my next books.

1 Like

You can. They don’t seem to want to do that for their own work flow.

To the og Jacob is the only way I know how to copy structure and stuff. Sadly we have no quick way import method like manuscripts do

2 Likes

I don’t know. It seems the op doesn’t want to scroll through 100 scenes, and I thought you’d just scroll through the scenes of the new book. I also thought the word count was divided by book.

2 Likes

It is. You can see the word count per book, per scene, per chapter and in total depending on what part of the count you are looking at.

You can set your goals to a given book or the whole manuscript or even the whole project.

You can minimize the book and chapter so you aren’t scrolling through the old stuff while working on the new stuff.

You can have plot grids for each book in the project that are linked together.

But it does get cumbersome after a bit. This is how I handle my own series. But when I started editing and rearranging the scenes around I actually started another project.

3 Likes

Yeah thanks AJ - I do use the minimising on other sections already. And definitely the chapter, scene and part word counts - actually one of the things I love most.
I also use the mobile app pretty extensively and on there it’s all too easy with fat fingers to open the wrong section.

I’m definitely going to set up a new project for the next book (for reasons of my own and the way my head works as much as anything). I just wanted to avoid a ton of pointless copy/pasting if possible.

2 Likes

Mobile app has its own draw backs. I don’t really like using it myself unless I’m just writing. Editing it doesn’t really work, and without the moving of scenes and stuff, it’s difficult to do much editing. But it’s a great way to write on the go when I’m in that phase.

And sadly there is no export/import of notes yet. That would be a time saver.

3 Likes

Is there a actual mobile app out yet, or is it still just the website that’s accessible on mobile devices? I’d kinda like to have options for future references.
Thx,
Skylark

2 Likes

You can install it on your phone, but it’s not an app app. It can look like an app, be accessed by an icon on your device, but it’s not an app you download from an app store.

2 Likes

Oh, okay thanks.

1 Like