NaNoWriMo 2019

What is everyone doing for NaNo this year?
How is your prep coming along? Or if you aren’t prepping, what are you doing?

I’m neck deep in prepping. My region had our first prep event last night, but as an ML I got less done during it and instead caught up with my Wrimos.

I’m working on a four book series, though I don’t expect to get it all done. I’m confident for hitting the 50K this year, and am hoping to exceed it.

2 Likes

It was hard to choose what to work on next month as I have way too many things started and want to progress on all of them.

I have, however, made an effort to mitigate my first ever NaNo 2016 produce to Dabble and will be working on finishing the 2nd draft. For now, it has lots of plot holes and contradictions and revelations too early, misses dialogues and character depth… so lots to do on this one, but also lots of notes on what to improve, so I hope, it’s gonna be a smooth start.
So my “prepping” is reading this one, making clear what I wanna rewrite/include etc and finishing the plot grid for it in Dabble.

For any other mood, I still have some short stories, I need to revise, finish or write.

2 Likes

I’m stuck until Nov 1 at 13:33 I think as I’m waiting on the theme for game off to decide if I’m going to write my interactive fiction story or just work on my current highschool AU for my MC and his love. BUT since I’m actually posting the AU I’m potentially going to be doing that too, so it’s jut 50K I’m aiming for. I’ll start a new Nano project and copy back and froth between the originals to keep them together so I can use the nice little automatic word count and then export features of dabble.

Gonna be a rebel this year.

3 Likes

The integration is turned on now! Get all set up with NaNoWriMo before November 1st.

4 Likes

Oh, and people are asking about Dabble on NaNoWriMo’s forums, if anyone wants to chime in. https://forums.nanowrimo.org/t/opinions-on-dabble/47314

2 Likes

All set and done, can’t wait for November to start!

2 Likes

All I have is a two-page opening scene. It’s a kind of midlife-coming of age-roadtrip theme, which is really out of my comfort zone. I don’t know if I’m funny enough to write this kind of story, but the worst that can happen is getting better at writing.

4 Likes

Am prepping for Nano but the wrong way. My friend and I are co-MLs for our region and are getting set up for the month and for Kickoff, Exciting times but my book prep seems to be taking a back seat to it. You understand. If you need any cross region partners for any events give me a holler, would love to do something like that this year.

Normally I write horror but this time I thought I would try my hand at romance, Yes quite a change,

3 Likes

Totally understand! I’ve been unable to actually participate in NaNoWriMo in order to play a support role for NaNoers. I’m hoping next year I will be able to have help and can participate. :crossed_fingers:

3 Likes

Jacob you do an amazing job keeping all this working so well, and dealing with all our little problems and questions. Sorry you can’t do NaNo this year. Here’s hoping for next year. But thank you for such an amazing platform to us. I love it and make sure to share that with all the people I meet through NaNo.

1 Like

Thank you @Terri_Cage! That’s so nice.

I know exactly what that feels like! I’ve bought prizes, handed out bingo cards and stickers, and encouraged people to write that story about which they’re most passionate… But during our prep workshops, I’m getting nothing done for myself :joy: we have another one tonight, maybe I can at least get my trackers set up in my BuJo.

@Jacob, thank you so much for the support you’ve given during NaNo in previous years and in years to come! I hope you can squeeze in a few words as time allows.

UPDATE: I got three pages of my BuJo set up! I have my main (title) page, word count tracker and sprint tracker. I just need my general project page and I’ll be ready for NaNo!

3 Likes

I appreciate that Tori! My goal this year is mobile. Maybe I’ll submit my code to the NaNo word count tracker at the end of November and see what it gives me. :smile:

3 Likes

I think that’s an excellent idea!

If I participate in game off I intend to do the same lol. It’s writing, just not typical. lol.

3 Likes

Please, please do this! And then report back :rofl::rofl:

2 Likes

As every year, I am tempted to just submit all work emails written in a month … I am curious, to how much that amounts … and then reports and project proposals … I am a writer, but my day-job non-fiction is so boring :smiley:.

2 Likes

I tried to track my writing of all forms for a year. I was surprised how much I wrote. I didn’t track emails or code, but all the little things I wrote, whether it was world lore or some other note somewhere it all got tracked. Wish there was a magic way to do that without having to remember to record it lol.

3 Likes

Since I’ll be working on a second draft, I will allow myself to count also any notes I’ll take and if I rewrite a scene completely, I will safe the old one and have the new stuff count in total even if there’s overlap. I’ve made some analysis (prepping stuff you should do BEFORE you start writing a first draft, but which I never do) to get to know this older work again inside out and will probably start with noting down all the things I still want to achieve within the 2nd draft (in particular, more dialogues and deepened relationships between characters).

3 Likes

Woah! Look at you writers go!

4 Likes

that’s pretty awesome. My count is 0 at the moment. But I didn’t sleep well last night and running on no sleep the prior day. so many excuses… And game off hasn’t declared their theme yet so I’m holding off on that too… that will decide if I do that or a story for nano.

2 Likes