Craft your story

Dabble Community

NaNoWriMo 2020

It’s almost here, guys!

I’m super excited. I know 2020 has been rough for a lot of people, but I’ve been incredibly fortunate in that the difference between my life this year and my life last year leaves me with a massive amount of things to be thankful for. After struggling for many years, I think I’m finally in a healthy enough place to really focus on, not only NaNoWriMo this year, but also my work as a writer in general.

How’s everyone else doing? Are you participating this year, or are you holding off because of how crazy everything is?

If you are participating, do you know what your project is going to be this year? Are you plotting, pantsing, or both?

8 Likes

I may be able to participate in NaNoWriMo this year too! I’m plotting my story out now so I know where to go next month and don’t run out of … runway I guess.

6 Likes

Not writing a novel, but taking part anyway. I’m doing one short fiction story per week as I take a month break to let my alpha readers do their thing with my other book. A mental palette cleanser…

The stories are all in one Dabble project so it syncs with the NaNoWriMo registered ‘novel’. Plotting three stories and leaving one story to pants.

4 Likes

I’ve GOT to get my ducks in a row this November. I want to rewrite an existing manuscript rather than write something from scratch. That’s my objective this year.

5 Likes

I will be a rebel this year. My goal is to edit 50K words (or the rest of my July project cause I never finished it didn’t even touch it after camp ended :frowning: ).

I do have a story or two I could work on. If the editing gets too overwhelming, But it’s also Game Off so I am really torn about participating in it… maybe one year I’ll actually do a nano/game off thing I want, but it won’t be this year, this year I want to finish the first book round 1 edits so I can publish next year (I hope)

6 Likes

I feel like there’s going to be a lot of rebels this year just given how stressful the past year has been. People probably feel more comfortable working with familiar projects rather than starting from a blank page. I can relate, I have my NaNo from last year that I’m still working on and I was tempted to set it for this year’s project, but then a few weeks ago I suddenly got inspiration for a new project so I’m going to try to work on that (although I’ll probably end up working on my old one).

Good luck to everyone, though. This too shall pass! :heart:

4 Likes

I’m continuing the story I started for July camp! I might also finish the manuscript for the novel I’m working on now, if I don’t finish it before November starts.
This year is going to be tough but worth it I think. Myself and my Co-MLs are trying really hard to make everything as close as possible to our normal events, even if we can’t have them in person.

4 Likes

Well my new job is demanding and I might not have enough time to do a full on NaNo. But I wanna finish two shorts and I had a nice new novel idea I wanna start fleshing out or just pantsing around and free write.

5 Likes

This year for NaNo what I’m doing is a rebellion combo-project in which my goal is more or less to just… get as much done on existing projects as possible.

5 Likes

Oh okay sweet!

2 Likes

I’ve tried to participate in nano for the last three years but the enthusiasm burns out fast for me. I’m still going through the preparation motions for this year, though. Something to feel excited for at least, that’s for sure. Fingers crossed for everyone!

6 Likes

Who knows, maybe this will be the perfect storm and you’ll be able to make it all the way to the finish line.

4 Likes

The current NaNo site has writing groups (former Camp Cabins) and some of us have created a dedicated Dabble Writing Group. If you are interested in joining us there head over to Camp NaNoWriMo for some details.

3 Likes

Hi Claire and all,
Im participating this year - I did in 2018 and finished a manuscript that still needs revising and editing! But… I’m writing another novel - women’s fiction - rather than editing the first one! I tried last year but wasn’t in the right space to do anything. Feeling more positive this year and have attempted to do some plotting rather than the usual pantsing!

5 Likes

Nano is coming upon us!

:sweat_smile:

1 Like

Tell us! (if you want)

1 Like

I’m excited but oddly as I do more prep this year I’m feeling less and less prepared! :upside_down_face:

My regional NaNo group is doing tons of virtual events and fun motivational things in advance. If anyone has not yet looked into their regional NaNos, I recommend checking them out to see if they exist. It’s great to have a little local community for accountability and encouragement.

2 Likes

Doing my plansting now. I tend to get my plotting laid out (in Dabble of course) ahead of time. Will see if I stick to that or not, LOL.

3 Likes

I’m doing NaNoWriMo for the first time this year. Any tips you can give me?

2 Likes
  1. Outline your novel ahead of time.
  2. Be prepared to run out of outline at least twice during November. You’ll have to generate more outline.
  3. Write at least 1667 words every day.
  4. Don’t do any edits beyond heeding Dabble’s spelling and grammar suggestions.

After NaNoWrimo:

1. Let the material cool for a week or two. During that that time study up on how editing is done.
  2. Edit until it’s ready for a few of your beta readers.
  3. Rest while your beta readers do their work.
  4. Use what you want from the beta reader feedback.
  5. Prepare frontmatter and backmatter
  6. Get an ISBN number from Bowker.
  7. Publish to Apple Books, Google Play et. al.
4 Likes