Question

does it make a different if most of your book comprise of message conversation. i’m worried that people wont want to read it.

Melissa

1 Like

I think it depends on the age demographic. I definelty would but depending on the slang/style and such older groups may not. (Vice/versa with younger groups not knowing certain terms).

Agreed. I think it depends on the genre and your target audience. I’ve written a book as a bunch of journal entries. I’ve also written a book with a lot of message conversations. Granted I’m not published in either case as they were written for fun and cause I wanted to. It really does depend on the audience.

2 Likes

It might get tedious to read nothing but text messages back and forth, with no “rest time” for the reader, as in descriptive passages, setting and context, not even know who the texters are and what they look like, ages etc. Of course, if brilliantly done, any style would be read and enjoyed, even published, but I would think this is a tough hill to climb. Why choose this style? Is there a good reason you want to write it this way?

2 Likes

I have always, as a rule for my writing, tried to maintain a balance between dialog(spoken word of characters) and narrative(descriptions and the actions of you characters and world). In this way you can ensure that most readers will find what they appreciate in your writing. The difference in these two elements greatly affect your pacing as well.

1 Like

I agree 100%. I was reading the book “Young Joan” by Barbara Dana recently, and I wondered why I was so annoyed with the writing style. Then I realized it was because it was written with almost nothing but conversation.

1 Like