Craft your story

Dabble Community

Quotation marks?

I copied and pasted the current document from a text editor I’m assuming where there aren’t curly quotation marks. So now while I’m editing and Dabble automatically does the different quotes, I keep getting the green squiggle about the messed up quotation matches and stuff.

Is there anyway I can stop this from happening. Change all the quotes to ‘smart quotes’.

I mean I can change all the curly quotes to straight quotes but I would have to do a find and replace and then keep doing this over and over and over and over again. Not exactly conducive to the problem at hand.

As a side note: the editing problem we’ve been discussing, is with this project – it’s been copied and pasted from somewhere else. I’d like to say it’s from Google Docs. But it’s possible it’s from my markdown versions I converted from google docs… so not sure.

And another side note, if I were to copy a quote front curly quote replace all the straight quotes, will the front quote automatically change to a back quote on the end? (a test might be in order)

1 Like

And another side note, if I were to copy a quote front curly quote replace all the straight quotes, will the front quote automatically change to a back quote on the end? (a test might be in order)

The answer to this question is now. It stays an open quote :frowning:

1 Like

This is an old problem. I too have copied text from other sources and found a mishmash of smart and straight quotations. And then Dabble mercilessly reminds you about each and every instance where a straight and a smart quote don’t match up.

It would be nice to have a typographic option so Dabble fixes it everywhere. In the back of my mind I thought we’d discussed this before and totally forgot the result of it. But memory is the first thing to go.

1 Like

It’s very possible we discussed this before. I’m editting now so it’s annoying to have to go fix that.

I can do a mass replace of straight quotes, but not the other way around pouts which is dabbles default. And in order to keep them formatted the same before an export I’ll probably have to do that. For now I’ll just correct them when prowriting aids points out the problem. But it’s still annoying lol.

1 Like

I fixed the paste (presumably after you copy-pasted into Dabble) to automatically convert the quotes. To fix your document, funny enough, you can just copy the whole scene and paste it over the top of itself and the quotes will be converted. I believe it only corrects straight quotes and not existing smart quotes, so you may need to replace incorrect smart quotes with straight quotes then try this.

1 Like

awesome!. I will have to do this as step one of my edit process. Consistency is the key.

And yeah I set this up a bit ago before I started book 5 but after you implemented mobile…

1 Like