Rain Spirit Chapters 1-5

Prologue (Chapter 1)
I looked into the water, half-expecting to see a fish. But as usual, there was nothing. I should probably backtrack. My name’s Lily Rymer, but you can call me Lily. I live in a world very similar to your world, except for a few key differences. The main one? Spirits. If there’s a concept, there’s a Spirit that goes with it, the Sun, Flowers, Love and pretty much anything else we could imagine. They’ve lived alongside us since the dawn of time, watching over us, protecting us, and even making friends with us. But then one fateful day, everything changed. Sun Spirit insulted Flower Spirit, although no one has ever told us kids what he had said and why. Anyway, Flower Spirit’s wife, Rain Spirit got really, really mad and plotted revenge. I assume she was the grudge-holding type. Eventually, Rain Spirit captured both Sun Spirit and his wife Cloud Spirit. She locked Sun Spirit away and forced Cloud Spirit to make clouds and block the sky. Then Rain Spirit made rain. A lot of rain. That was one hundred years ago. Ever since then, it hasn’t stopped raining. Only the elders have seen the sun. Since the rain wilted, all the plants, humans, and animals had no food. Luckily, since Rain Spirit was Flower Spirit’s wife, flowers don’t wilt. Another difference from your world in our realm, which we call the Common Realm, is that fish can’t survive in rain water. So now that the lakes, rivers, oceans and creeks are now mostly rain, there are no fish. Most of the population of the world died. But the survivors grouped up and found a beautiful shelter as a secluded village near tall mountains right next to three big lakes. And it’s in that tiny village where me, my siblings and all my friends were born. They taught us to survive in the Rain Apocalypse when we were very young. Eventually, the people settled into their new lives. People found husbands and wives and had children. We even formed a schedule. In the morning, everyone eats. After that, they teach their children for a bit. Then we all go outside and forage for food. If it’s even remotely edible, we pick it. We can’t afford to lose any potential food. After that, we just chill, cook, watch TV, read books or hang out with our friends. It’s a good life in hindsight. I have a family and a bunch of friends who love me. But I’m guessing it’s difficult on my parents, Peter and Alice, to raise, feed and provide for their four children plus themselves. Especially since I’m going through a bunch of growth spurts and really need to eat. Sometimes all any of us can find are a handful of minnows who have somehow survived all of this carnage. We have been hungry, but we survived. But all the kids knew the adults knew something we didn’t…

Escape! (Chapter 2)
The day started fairly normally. We ate breakfast, our parents did a bit of homeschooling, we put on our jackets & boots and were about to leave the house when a girl rushed into my house. And not just any girl, my best friend, Tamara Voland. She had brown hair that was always messy; she wore jean jackets and a pink-ish red scarf and had brown eyes. Tamara knew all the gossip and was friends with almost all the kids in the village. Since I’m not a chatterbox until you get to know me, she’s who I rely on for everything that’s going on in town.

“Lily! Mr. and Mrs. Rymer! Thomas! Amy! Celia! I’ve found something amazing!” Tamara shouted.

My siblings came to see what was happening. The oldest of us, Amy, spoke up.

“What is it, Tamara?” she asked.

“I found an exit to this place!” She yelled, happily. “I bet there’re tons of food there!”

My twin younger siblings, Celia and Thomas, didn’t need convincing. They were already rushing out of the house with Tamara.

“No! Please don’t go!” my parents cried.

If you know any children, you know that the best motivator for us to do something is an adult saying that you shouldn’t do it. So, since our parents didn’t want us to go, Amy and I ran out of the house with Tamara, Celia, and Thomas. When we went outside, we saw Tamara had already rallied all the kids. We also saw that the parents really, really did not want their kids to leave. They shouting for their children to come back. But nobody did. We all ignored them and followed Tamara. Suddenly a heard a voice calling out to me.

“Hey! Lily!” the voice cried.

It thrilled me to hear this voice. It belonged to one of my friends. It was Selene Etter’s voice. Selene had brown hair so dark it looked black. She always wore a crescent moon necklace and had purple eyes.

“Hi Selene,” I said. “What’s up?”

“Nothing much,” she said. “Except that-you know-we’re finally get out of here! Isn’t it so exciting?”

“Yeah,” I replied. “But isn’t weird that our parents really don’t want us to leave?”

“I don’t know,” she said. “I guess they’re just looking out for us”

“Yeah”

Then, I heard another voice. This one spoke in a french accent. It was none other than my good friend and Selene’s best friend, Ambroise De la Croix. She had light brown curly hair and amber eyes.

“Hi Lily! Hi Selene!”

“Hey Ambroise!” Selene and I said in unison.

“I can’t believe we’re finally getting out of here,” Ambroise said.

“I know!” Selene said.

“But all the parents are chasing us, begging for us to get back,” I said.

“Yeah,” Selene agreed and showed Ambroise her parents, Otto Etter and Iris Etter running after her.

“My parents are chasing me and Léa,” Ambroise said.

Léa was Ambroise’s older sister. Right after Ambroise talked, we heard another voice.

“Hey, what’s up ladies!”

That was Alex Channing. Alex was another one of our friends. Alex had red hair, freckles and green eyes. He was accompanied by his little brother Bobby Channing. Alex got a little nervous. He had told us last year that he had a crush on Selene. That’s a good choice, Selene is beautiful and a total sweetheart. I gave him a look that said: “ just tell her how you feel ”. He gave me a look that said “ cut it out already! ”. I rolled my eyes and smiled.

“Hey everyone,” a timid voice said.

This voice came from the last member of my friend group, Liam Cellier. Liam had blond hair, red shirt and freckles. He was Alex’s best friend.

“Aren’t you excited to get out of here, Liam?” Selene exclaimed enthusiastically.

“Yeah,” Liam replied. “But isn’t it a bit scary, leaving everything we’ve ever known?”

“Yeah,” Ambroise said as her her often harsh eyes softened, “You guys know how by-the-book I am. But it’ll be fine.”

Alex nudged her playfully. “Don’t tempt Fate Spirit!”

We all laughed. That broke the icy vibe hanging over us this morning.

That was my friend group. Me, Tamara, Alex, Ambroise, Liam and Selene had been inseparable since we were seven years old. We did everything together.

I decided to leave to talk to Tamara. There was something I wanted to tell her.

“I’ll see you guys later,” I said.

“See you later,” Alex said.

They all waved goodbye and I walked along the path, pushing my way past the mob of kids, all chatting, laughing and gossiping. Then I noticed Oliver Calvary. He’s so handsome with that brown hair, blue eyes and that cute British accent, I wondered if we might go on a date some day. Argh! I had to stop thinking about that crush and focus! I continued on the road until I saw Tamara. As I walked up to my best friend I started to feel something wet on my face. I’m not sure if it was the rain or tears. I was sad and kind of nervous to leave the village. My village.

“Hey, are you okay?”

That was Tamara. I guess since she said that it means that I was crying. I quickly wiped away my tears.

“Oh, yeah I’m fine,” I replied. “Don’t you just think that all the adults are acting a little weird. They don’t want us to leave. What if we get in trouble? I’m pretty sure that’s how everyone feels, especially Liam. You know how bad his atychiphobia is.”

“Don’t worry, Lily,” Tamara said. “Everyone will be fine. You know I’d never do anything that might hurt anyone”

“Really?” I said teasingly, “Because the mud here is practically quicksand”

We both started to laugh. Then Tamara stopped.

“Don’t you hate the rain, causing all these problems for all of us?”

I nodded. We both knew an awkward silence was coming so it was lucky we made it to the exit.

The Rock Wall (Chapter 3)
Well… this was underwhelming and the other kids were inclined to agree.

“Tamara, why is the exit just a rock wall?” Complained a younger girl, Sage Brassard.

The other kids started complaining.

“Yeah, Tamara,” I said. “What’s up with the rock wall?”

“That’s where you guys are all wrong,” Tamara giggled. “Check this out!”

Then something incredible happened. Tamara put her hand right through the wall! Everyone was shocked.

“Is that a hologram or something?” I asked Tamara.

“Nah, its a magical creation,” she replied “Probably made by a spirit.”

“The Hologram Spirit?” Sage asked.

“What? No! That’s not a thing!” Tamara said, rolling her eyes. “I think it was made by Rock Spirit or Magic Spirit or something.”

“I wonder why the spirits made a hologram,” said Léa who had caught up with us.

“IT’S A MAGICAL CREATION! Screamed Tamara.

“Whatever,” said Ambroise.

“Léa’s right,” said Alex. “Why would the Spirits make a hologram unless there was something to hide out there?”

“For the last time! It. Is A. MAGICAL CREATION!” Tamara shouted.

“WHATEVER!” We all shouted.

“But seriously,” said Alex. “What do the Spirits have to hide?”

Tamara smiled her trademark super-confident smile.

“Let’s find out,” she said bravely. She took my hand, Ambroise took Selene’s, Alex took his Bobby’s and Liam’s. Everybody started to take their best friend’s hand. Slowly but surely, we all started to walk into the “magical creation”. I closed my eyes and walked on a rocky path. I almost tripped on all the rocks. Even though my eyes were closed, I could tell the tunnel was as dark as night. And it’s already pretty dark in the day because of all the clouds in our world. I smelt damp plants and sediment. It was thin and small, not good for claustrophobic’s like me and Liam. Finally Tamara said:

“We’re out of the tunnel!”

Thank goodness. I didn’t want to be in that creepy place for one second more than I needed to. But everyone, including me, were disappointed to see that the outside world didn’t look that different from our village except with no houses or roads, but with the same disgusting grey clouds covering every inch of the sky, the same grass that was so wet and damp that it was practically a smoothie and the same tree-less valleys.

“Hey what’s that?”

I turned around to see that Liam and Ambroise had found a strange rock covered with ivy and moss. We came to check it out. I knelt down to pull off the plants. What I saw was really weird. The slab of stone had strange writing. It was definitely in some mystical language. And I think Ambroise knew what is was.

“It’s the language of the Spirits,” she said. “But I can’t make out what it says.”

Just as Ambroise finished speaking, the writing started to glow in a bright, blue light. It was so bright, I thought I was going blind. We all fell to ground with pain in our eyes. Suddenly the letters stopped glowing. Nobody said anything, but we all agreed that we had to go back to the village. We started walking to the tunnel. I dreaded going back in there but I had to. Suddenly I felt I hand on my shoulder. I looked behind me and saw Amy, holding the twins hands. She smiled and I closed my eyes and walked on the same rocky path. I smelt the damp plants and sediment. After what felt like years, but was really just five minutes, we made it out of the tunnel. Where all the adults were waiting for us, worried and scared. My Etsi (mom in the Cherokee language) and dad rushed up to me, Amy, Celia and Thomas.

“Kids! My mom said. “We were worried sick!”

“I know,” Amy said. “We’re sorry”

Our mom smiled. “We know you are.”

“You didn’t happen to see a stone slab with strange writing did you?” My father asked.

“Yeah, we did,” I said. “Why?”

“It started glowing with blue light, right?”

“Yeah,” I replied.

Every adult in the village stopped telling their kids off, healing their eyes or hugging them. They all gasped and started to freak out.

“What is it?” I asked, but the adults just kept freaking out until my maternal Agilisi, (grandmother in the Cherokee language) one of the elders, spoke up.

“There’s a prophecy made by Rain Spirit,” she explained. “She was mad that people had survived her Rain Apocalypse so she said that if anybody left this village, there would be a huge flood, leaving nothing. That’s why Rock Spirit and Magic Spirit created a illusion of a rock wall so that no one would ever leave”

All the kids looked at each other with panic in their eyes, the younger kids started screaming and crying while the older ones started panicking.

“Where will we go go!?” Selene wailed.

“There must be some way to fix this!” Tamara shouted.

But then we all started to get mad.

“Why didn’t you just tell us all of this?” I screamed as I felt my chest burning. “We wouldn’t have gone.”

“We thought we may be able to avert a crisis.” My father said sheepishly. “We thought we didn’t need to to tell you. But since there’s going to be a flood, I guess there’s no harm in telling you.”

“We need to evacuate up the mountains,” my grandmother said. “That’s the only place where we’ll be safe.”

“Maybe,” said Ambroise. “But some of the children are too young to climb a mountain. And there’s no way the Elders could climb up there. They’re too old. No offence or anything.”

My grandmother smiled as if to say: “none taken”.

I could hear murmurs of agreement in crowd in regards to what my friend had said. Everyone knew she was the smartest kid in the village.

“That’s why we have wagons,” my grandmother said, smirking. “Follow me.”

We started to follow Agilisi across the village and as I felt the rain on my face, I started to look at my friends. Ambroise and Léa met up with their parents, Alex and Bobby hugged their parents, William and Olivia Channing, Tamara found her mom, Miriam Voland and held her hand tight, Liam stuck close to his father, Hamilton Cellier and Selene cried into Iris Etter and Otto Etter’s arms. I just couldn’t believe that we were actually leaving. I thought that we might stay in the outside world for a day or so then come back. Instead, we’re leaving the only home we ever knew. For good.

“Hey,” a voice said in a sad voice.

I shrieked. Phew. It was only Tamara.

“Sorry, you scared me,” I said. “What’s up?”

Tamara started crying. That was rare.

“I’m sorry,” she said through her sobs. “This is all my fault. If I hadn’t rallied everyone to leave, this wouldn’t have happened.”

“This isn’t all your fault,” I said “Everybody had a little part to play in it. If us, the kids hadn’t come with you, it wouldn’t have happened. If the adults had just told us why we shouldn’t have gone, it wouldn’t have happened. If Rain Spirit hadn’t made the prophecy in the first place, it wouldn’t have happened.”

“I had the biggest part to play,” Tamara said quietly.

“You shouldn’t feel so bad,” Selene said.

“When did you guys get here?” I asked.

“Well, we aren’t letting our friend be sad,” Ambroise added. “Nobody thinks that it’s your fault.”

“Yeah,” Liam said quietly. “Everybody’s blaming themselves.”

Tamara turned to the other kids for confirmation. They all nodded. Tamara smiled.

“Thanks guys,” she said, wiping away her tears.

“This may be scary,” Alex said. “But we just need to stick together.”

“As always,” Selene, giggling and smiling.

Alex blushed. He totally has the hots for her. Selene smiled. I’m impressed at how bad she is at taking a hint. Alex likes her, it’s so obvious. Anyway, we made it to the big shed where the wagons were. The adults took them out and told the kids to go pack their stuff. This is it. The moment we leave.

The Climb (Chapter 4)
Alright, time to leave. Everyone had packed and we were all ready. My grandmother and the other elders claimed they could hear the flood coming. I’m terrified, but ready. It’ll be an adventure. Oh, who am I kidding? This is the worst thing that could ever happen to us! I walked outside, crying. I saw that literally everyone was crying too. I walked up to my friends. We were all crying quietly but when I came, we all looked at each other for a few seconds and started sobbing our hearts out. It was normal for me, Selene and Liam to cry but to see Alex, Tamara and Ambroise cry was really rare. It was only when they got really hurt. Or when-I don’t know-they had to leave the only home they had ever known.

“Time to go,” my grandmother said. “The flood will get here soon.”

Still crying, we all walked up to the crowd. I saw Tamara’s cheeks getting red. She didn’t want people to see her crying. I took her hand.

“Don’t worry,” I said to her. “The rain will wash away your tears”

“And plus,” Selene said through her tears. “Everyone else is crying too. There’s nothing to be ashamed of.”

“Thanks guys,” said Tamara.

We made it to the mountains and the elders and younger kids started piling into the wagons. The adults pulled the wagons and the kids had to carry their families bags. Luckily, since I had Amy with me, we could divide the load. Amy’s a good older sister. I looked at Liam, Selene and Tamara and felt bad for them. They had no siblings, no one to help them with the bags. We started to hike up the mountain. It was hard. Really hard. There were roots everywhere that we could trip on. The path was rocky like in the tunnel, the ground was pure mud and there were trees everywhere. I heard some of the younger kids, like Sage Brassard, complaining. Ambroise walked up to Sage and calmed her down. They had always got along. I suspected it was because their French parents always got Ambroise to babysit Sage.

“Catawnee?” A voice said, interrupting my daydreaming.

I flinched. I don’t like to be sneaked up on. I turned around to see my Grandmother. She always called me “Catawnee”, my mother’s maiden name or “Kachina”, my Cherokee name, because before my mom was Alice Rymer, she was Agasga Catawnee, a young Cherokee girl. I love my Cherokee heritage, one day I’m going to be a true Cherokee. I hope. Anyway, I needed to answer my Agilisi.

“What is it Agilisi?” I asked.

She handed me a necklace with a colourful fish scale on it.

“What is this?”

“You’ll find out when the time is right,” she replied as she walked back to her wagon.

Okay, that was cryptic. Guess I’ll find out what she means soon. I put the necklace around my neck.

“Hey,” yet another voice said. “You’re Lily Rymer, right?”

OMG, that was Oliver Calvary. Be cool, be cool.

“Y-y-yeah,” I stuttered. “That’s me.”

I turned to my friends. They all had big smiles on their faces and were giving me thumbs ups. Selene and Tamara both gave me a sign with their hands that was meant to say “ Go for it! Go get your guy!

“What is it?” I asked Oliver.

“I was thinking,” he said. “If we make it to the top of this mountain alive, do you want to come over and have a hot chocolate or something? It’s awfully cold out here.”

He was right. I was so caught up in daydreaming and my conversations that I had failed to notice how freezing it was outside. I started blushing like crazy. My crush had invited me to his house. But then I realized something.

“That would be really nice,” I said. “But you won’t have a house. Nobody will.”

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” he said. “Me and my family know something about that mountain that the rest of you don’t. I’ll see you at my house later today. Also, you’re blushing by the way.”

Ohhh no.

“Am I?” I said nervously. “It must be the cold.”

“Umm, okay,” Oliver said suspiciously as he walked back to his family. “I’ll see you later.”

“See you!”

Tamara walked up to me. We both started squealing and jumping up and down with joy.

“Oh my gosh!” I screamed. “I can’t believe it!”

“I told you he liked you!”

Selene and Ambroise came and joined our squealing and jumping. There were bad things and good things happening today.

“I will never understand women,” Alex whispered to Liam. Liam nodded. The girls started giggling.

“We should start climbing again,” said Ambroise. “We should be there soon. Trente minutes, tops.”

Ambroise always worked a bit of French into her sentences. But who came blame her? She’s proud of her heritage like I am. And besides, I call my grandma “Agilisi” and my mother “Etsi”, both words in Tsalagi. Thats the name for the Cherokee language. And like all my siblings, I have a Cherokee name. Mine, as you know, is “Kachina”. Amy’s is “Ama”. Her normal name is inspired by her Cherokee name actually. Celia’s is “Tsula” and Thomas’ is “Wohali”.

“I agree,” Tamara said. “We should get going.”

We started climbing again. Like Ambroise had said, it took thirty minutes to get to the top. And what we saw was interesting. A house. At the top of this “deserted” mountain. I saw a mailbox with writing on it. It said “The Calvarys”. Oh my gosh. Oliver was right! There were people on the mountain. Probably his cousins or something. Nobody really knew what to do. I guess I’ll be the one to do something. I knocked on the door. Selene looked scared, Ambroise looked confused, Tamara looked worried, Alex looked proud of me and Liam, as usual, just kept his face hidden. Somebody opened the door.

“Hello?” she said.

“Hey, Aunt Clara!” Oliver said as he rushed to hug her.

“So, this is your aunt?” I asked him.

“Well, yeah.”

“Why didn’t you say anything,” I asked him.

“I dunno,” he said. “I just thought it was my family’s secret. Every family has at least one, right?”

I smiled.

Alex’s mother, Olivia rushed up to Oliver’s aunt. She liked to take charge.

“Miss. Calvary, can you please tell us how you came to be living on the mountain?” she said.

“Of course,” Clara said. “Come in.”

“No offence, Miss. Calvary, but I don’t think we’re all gonna fit in there,” Ambroise said.

“Oh, don’t worry about that,” she said with a smile. “Just come in.”

We all stepped into her house and saw that it wasn’t a house at all. It was an illusion of a house hiding a whole other village. I can’t believe I saw two illusions today.

“After fifty years of rain,” Clara started saying. “We had had enough. We came together here and made this village with help from the Spirits of course. Later, you guys came at the base of the mountains, Oliver and his family included. I… didn’t think I’d see him again.”

Oliver smiled.

“Anyway,” Clara continued. “We decided to stay here. And now, you guys are here. You can stay if you want.”

The adults got together and discussed the “pros and cons” and other boring adult stuff. I just met up with my friends.

“Wow,” said Selene. “This is… kinda crazy.”

“I know,” Tamara said. “There are more survivors. I expect the unexpected every day but this, this is, well, uh-”

“I believe the word you’re looking for in ‘unprecedented,’” Ambroise interrupted.

“Exactly,” said Alex. As usual Liam kept quiet. Then I thought of something.

“You guys don’t think that there are… more survivors?” I asked.

“I don’t think so,” Ambroise said. “There’s no way they could’ve stayed hidden as well as these people and us.”

“Yeah, I guess you’re right,” I said.

Ambroise smiled smugly. “I’m always right,” she said. We all started laughing. Just then, our parents walked to us.

“Kids,” Hamilton Cellier, Liam’s father said. “We’re staying here.”

We all smiled. I guess Oliver was right, we would all have new homes by the end of the day.

“There’s just one thing,” Mom said. “We’ll have to stay very safe. We’re gonna be closer to the sky and therefore closer to the rain.”

“Yeah, I agree,” Ambroise said. “It’s not as safe up here.”

“It makes you wonder why they stayed here instead of coming down the mountain,” Selene added.

“I guess they just didn’t want to leave home,” Alex said sadly.

We didn’t say anything but I think we all agreed. None of us wanted to leave home.

“Hey Lily,” Oliver said, sneaking up on me.

“Oh, hi,” I said. Alex gave me a look that I could tell meant: “ This time I get to tell you to talk to your crush .” I glared at him. Sometimes boys can be so annoying.

“So,” Oliver said. “How about that hot chocolate?”

“Oh, yeah,” I responded. “I’ll be there soon.”

As he left, the girls started to giggle and squeal. “He totally likes you,” Selene said.

I smiled and we started to head to our new homes. When I got to mine I took the time to make it seem like I was still at my old house. I put the decor in my room exactly like how it was in my old house while my parents made sure there wasn’t any rain leaks in the house. I looked ay my fish scale necklace, then I put it into a drawer and forgot about it. Until the day things got a bit crazy…

Streams and Salmon (Chapter 5)
It was five years later, I just turned seventeen, I’ve been dating Oliver ever since we had that hot chocolate date and everyone else was doing well.

“Guys! Guys! You’re never going to believe this!”

I was just hanging out with Tamara, Selene, Alex and Liam as we waited for Ambroise. Just now, she came rushing up to us, super excited.

“You guys are never gonna belive this!” she says.

“What is it?” Selene asks with her trademark enthusiasm.

“I just met my Guardian Spirit!” she says as she tries not to scream with joy.

We all rush up to her to congratulate her. Guardian Spirits were Spirits who guard you, protect you and in old times, became your good friend. Now because of Rain Spirits dictatorship in the Spirit World, we can’t be friends with our Guardian Spirits. But still, discovering your Guardian Spirit was a huge occasion that happened when people were around our age.

C’est incroyable, non ?” Ambroise says.

“Yeah!” We all say.

“Which Spirit is it?” Alex asks.

“Intelligence Spirit!” Ambroise exclaims.

“Obviously,” Tamara says. Ambroise is smart. We all were, especially Alex, but Ambroise is the smartest.

“I am so happy,” Ambroise says.

“We’re all happy for you,” Selene says. “I wonder who our Guardian Spirits are gonna be.”

“Whoever they may be,” I say. “They’re gonna be great choices for us”

We all agree to this and start to head home as Tamara goes foraging for food.

(Insert scene change here)

When I got home, I start to cook a snack for the twins, now ten years old, with some blueberries I found when I looked inside of the berry bushes instead of outside. If you peel away the first layer of branches and leaves, you find a few berries that have survived. I love fruits that end with “-berry”. Fun fact: most of them aren’t actually berries. But on the other hand, oranges, bananas and kiwis are. Alex told me that.

Somebody knocks on the door, interrupting my cooking. I walk up to the door and open it. It was Tamara.

“Hey Lily!”

“Oh, hi Tamara,” I say. “What’s up?”

“I scored fish!” Tamara says giddily.

“You’re kidding,” I say. There was no way.

“I’m not, I promise! Come, I’ll show you.”

“Okay,” I say skeptically. There was no way she could have found fish. Especially since now that we live on a mountain and therefore, there’s more rain. We walked into a dense part of the mountain, covered in trees and wet leaves on the ground.

“Seriously, where are we going,” I groan. “Etsi’s gonna get mad if I get home late”

“Don’t worry,” Tamara says. “We’re almost there”

We walk for a few more minutes and then…

“We’re here,” Tamara says.

Wait a second, Tamara’s right! There was a stream filled with Chinook Salmon.

“Tams, how did you find this?” I say happily and excitedly.

“I was walking into the forest to forage and by some miracle, I found this!” She exclaims.

“Oh my goodness,” I say. “This is great!”

“I know, right!” She exclaims. “I’m go back to your house and finish the food you were making. You can stay here and get some salmon.”

“Okay,” I reply. “The recipe’s on the counter”

“Thanks,” Tamara says as she runs out of the forest to my house.

I take the time to look at the forest, it was wet, damp and humid yet still beautiful. There’s a beautiful mix of Red Alder trees, Yellow Cedars and Shore Pines. Seeing these trees brings back memories from when I was younger. I remember that Agilisi would tell me a Cherokee legend about Cedar Trees, or Atsina in Cherokee, and would tell me to keep a small piece of Cedar wood in medicine bags. It was hard to forage for medicinal plants considering the rain but Agilisi still taught me everything her Etsi taught her. On that note, I notice some wild mint and put it in my medicine bag. Agilisi taught me that mint soothes digestion problems and that’s what Amy has. It’ll help her.

Seeing the pine also brings back memories. In the spring, pine tips, spruce tips and fir tips were in season. Pine needles are waterproof, so the second the tips went in season, that’s pretty much all we ate. Pine tip jelly, pine tip tea and even pine tip vodka for the adults. When pine tips weren’t in season, we’d pick the needles and make tea. I miss those days, but at least every spring everyone still floods into the forest to pick pine tips.

Wait a second. How can everyone flood into the forest every spring and not notice the stream. Tamara and I had only walked for a couple of minutes to get here, its not that deep in the forest. Even if people somehow didn’t find the stream, they would have at least heard it. I think most people in your world see the Rain Apocalypse as torrential rain pour, all day, every day. But that’s not the case; usually, it’s just drizzling lightly outside, our equivalent of nice weather. In that case, it would be easy to hear a loud stream. Even if there was torrential rain pour all the time, our ears are so used to the sound of rain falling, that we can easily hear things that don’t sound like it. I walk towards the stream and try to catch a fish with a basket that Etsi weaved with me.

“Hey,” A girl says. “I wouldn’t catch those fish if I were you. They’re not even real”

I flinch after hearing the girl. Her voice doesn’t sound familiar and I know everyone in town. I turn around to see her. She looks about my age, she has light caramel hair with rainbow coloured highlights. She has a red dress and blue eyes.

“Who are you?” I ask. “And where do you live”

“I’m a Spirit. Rainbow Spirit to be exact”

Ummm…. this is weird.

“No really,” I say. “Who are you?”

“I’ve been known to play a trick or two but I swear, I’m Rainbow Spirit”

“Should I call a doctor?”

The girl looks annoyed and says “Seriously, I’m Rainbow Spirit!”

“Oh really?” I retort. “Prove it”

“If I was just a regular girl,” She starts. “Could I do this?”

She runs towards me and grabs my arm. As I try to wrestle myself out of her grasp, I notice the forest vanish into thin air. It kinda looks like it was melting out of existence. I look at the ground and notice that I’m standing on a cloud.

“Lily Rymer,” The girl says. “Welcome to the Spirit World”