Craft your story

Dabble Community

Release 2.0.x

Dabble 2 represents a huge undertaking and was actually released April 16, 2020. Because of so many improvements and bug fixes as part of this release the release notes did not get prioritized (nor addressed since). My apologies.

Changes

• Overhaul of the syncing system, keeping the same processes and data, but ditching Google’s Firebase SDKs and using our own websocket connection for auth and sync. This gives Dabble much more control over understanding what is stored locally and remotely, is faster, works across tabs better, reduces file sizes, and gets through more company firewalls.
  • Overhaul of the UI code for greater testability and an update to use the latest version of the framework Dabble uses
  • More control over focus mode and full screen using icons
  • A status bar to contain word counts and other information
  • Resizable and collapsable side panels
  • Plot grid updates to keep the grid up-to-date as the project changes rather than catching it up when opening it (fixing issues that come with the previous approach)
  • A project settings page to rename the project separate from the first novel
  • Project formatting options to change font and paragraph styles
  • New billing, preferences, and profile pages
  • Mobile compatibility

Description

To get Dabble ready for mobile, the speed of data transfer needed to be faster and lighter. Much of Dabble was overhauled to make this possible representing months of work. The actual work to improve Dabble’s user interface (UI) to work better on mobile was a small percentage of the total.

While I was overhauling things, I added a few things that I knew Dabbler’s really wanted, including panel sizing and manuscript formatting. This was the biggest release of features and work since Dabble launched.

As of this writing, Dabble is at 2.0.64 which comprises many bug fixes since 2.0.0 was launched in April. I will not go back to fill in every change that happened but will try to update going forward.

3 Likes