Craft your story

Dabble Community

Release 2.1.2

Changes

• Released Import on Paste, see description below
  • Add autolink to story notes
  • Add conversions for markdown bold/italic (**my bold** and *italic* convert to bold and italic)
  • Add drag-drop linking to add document links in a story note
  • Add option in Preferences to hide the loading quote on startup
  • Add placeholder in empty scenes to make it easier to see where to click to write (“And then…”)
  • Improve auto-focus behavior on Firefox and Chrome
  • Remove “Session Timeout” popup, just reload
  • Fix plot grid behavior when moving a scene to the first spot which caused it to not move in the manuscript
  • Fix bug when pressing Up into another scene that puts the cursor at the stop of the scene
  • Fixed NaNoWriMo auth for camp showing up in September (last day, but hey)

Description

Import on Paste

There are some nice features this release, including our first import feature! Paste your existing manuscript into Dabble in the book title, first chapter title, or scene to import. Examples:

Chapter 1: A Dark Night

Kaitlyn fell asleep dreaming of the capital.

#

The next day Kaitlyn woke up to shouts of alarm.

Chapter 2

A New Day

Little did she know she was being followed.

The attack happened suddenly.

This will import into Dabble in 2 chapters and 4 scenes just by pasting it in.

Drag-drop linking

If you go to Franky’s story note, you can place the cursor in it, drag Kaitlyn’s document from the left pane into the story note, and Dabble will place a link there for you. This allows you to click between story notes and create relationships between them.

drag-drop-link

6 Likes

I have a theoretical question:

If I were to import a markdown document with multiple heading tags (# Heading or ## Heading)

It’s not going to pick it up as a new Scene right? Nor is it going to pick it up as a Chapter?

1 Like

Scene separators need to be on their own line, so \n#\n is needed. It also looks for \nChapter X\n on its own line, so having “I love chapter 3.” in the middle of a scene won’t break it into a new chapter.

This is a cool feature and I will likely use it to convert an outline into a new structured Dabble project; thanks!
Also, how is the co-authoring feature coming along?

1 Like

It’s coming along. I have help with NaNoWriMo this year, so I’m hoping that doesn’t delay it.

So to be clear, the paste/import features isn’t looking for Markdown syntax at all.

However the instructions don’t work. I copy the sample text Jacob provided, create a new book, click on the empty title Untitled Book, right click and paste. And what a mess the title becomes.

I’m feeling very inept right now :grin: Where should I be pasting the text?

And I’m running Web v2.1.3 the latest Dabble.

2 Likes

haha! Not laughing at you, laughing with you cause yesterday I did the same thing and found all kinds of bugs I told Jacob about in chat with a long of list of things I tried before he got back to me. (He said a fix was incoming)

I tried that too and it didn’t work.

BUT you are correct it doesn’t look for markdown formatting at all.

Only ** for bold and * for italics are translated. I tried _ for italics and it doesn’t work, so only my Bolds would work since I use ** for bold and _ for italics so that when my text editor doesn’t support markdown formatting I know quickly and easily it’s not a typo.typing the ** and * while you write will automatically convert it to the formatting and remove your ** and * from the text.

2 Likes

2.1.3 supports plain text. Copy-pasting from my example was not working because of the
tags in the HTML instead of paragraphs, but I’ve updated the example so it will work correctly now. You should get it working if you try again. I just made another release to strip out the “Chapter 1:” part of chapter names when pasting into the title. I will post about it after lunch.

1 Like

Worked perfectly this time - thanks!

1 Like

Dabble version 2.1.4 is the cat’s meow. I was able to paste into the title the following and Dabble made short work of the material, correctly structuring chapters and scenes.

Chapter 1: A Dark Night

Kaitlyn fell asleep dreaming of the capital.

#

The next day Kaitlyn woke up to shouts of alarm.

Chapter 2

A New Day

Little did she know she was being followed.

The attack happened suddenly.

Hopefully we are one short step away from being able to paste in proper markdown. One little step :smile:

1 Like