Craft your story

Dabble Community

Spacebar/typing glitching - only in Dabble?

For some reason, my spacebar and the typing in Dabble is messing up. This ONLY is happening in Dabble, nowhere else on my PC. If I hit the spacebar, nothing will happen at all. And when I type a letter, it will come up right away. But then the cursor will jump to BEFORE the new letter, so the format is all wonky.

“ay there sleepingl” ← that lest letter being an L, so if I type the L, the cursor will jump to in front of the L, and all the new letters will go before it. I can sort of manually go and move the cursor to behind the letter, but I literally have to do it for each individual word, which is a huge pain in the butt.

Again, this is ONLY in Dabble. I wrote this post for the forum completely normally. :slight_smile: Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this? I have no clue what is going on.

3 Likes

This probably should be brought up in chat support so @Jacob and the help desk people can give you some specific help.

My only suggestions that might help: try logging in and out again to clear the local storage. While you are logged out you can try to clear your cache to remove any cached buggy javascript code that keeps getting reloaded.

but if none of these things work contacting in app support will be your fastest solution.

1 Like

How to clear cache: (just in case)

1 Like

This is an issue we have started getting reports on in the past month and it seems to be with Chrome (perhaps an update is causing this). We are looking into it.

1 Like

I’m suddenly having the same issue this morning. It started after I cut-and-pasted a block of text. I’m using Chrome Version 89.0.4389.114 (Official Build) (64-bit) taken from Google’s own Debian repository. I have tried to log out and log in. I’ve cleared my cache and cookies. I’m still having the same issue.

1 Like

If you move the cursor to the very end of the line and delete any trailing spaces at the end, does that help?

This has been happening to me the past few days. And it is happening in Edge as well. And I can’t delete any trailing spaces because I can’t add any spaces. I hit the space bar and nothing happens. Cleared my cache and cookies as well. Still happening.

It’s a shame. I was so excited about the new expanded card in the right column feature. But now Dabbler is virtually unusable.

1 Like

@Bill_Bittner I am working on fixing this. In the meantime, if you to Preferences > User Interface > Prevent Extra Spaces and turn that off, does that solve it?

After a few minutes of writing, it seems to have solved it. But I’ll let you know after a lot of writing tonight.

Thanks.

And I may be mistaken. But I think this only happened after sentence-ending periods.

1 Like

I spoke to soon. It started happening in a different scene.

If you want to check it out, the scene is named “Traveling and Backstory” in the file “Rings of Eternity” Feb 25.

It’s happening in the very first line, which now reads “ON HER AYW”

1 Like

Just finished typing 245 words. No problems yet. Now it was an existing scene, but it was totally blank. Maybe I’m not having problems because this scene isn’t corrupted like other scenes where I have had problems.

However, what I have tried is cutting and pasting all the text from a problem scene into Notepad (to remove any formatting or hidden characters). Then creating a brand new scene and copy and pasting the text from Notepad into the new scene. Unfortunatey, it didn’t work. Might there be some stuff that Notepad doesn’t strip away. Or is it possible a chapter is corrupt and affects any new scenes created within it.

One thing I’m going to try now. Copy the text from a scene where I’m having problems with the space key. Then copying it in an out of Notepad. Then instead pasting the text from Notepad into a new scene withing a totally different chapter. OR, creating a new chapter and scene.

And since I’m on a Chromebook right now, I can’t use Notepad. Instead I’m using this HTML stripper: https://www.striphtml.com/

1 Like

This may be fixed already with an imminent release (probably next week).

1 Like

I’m experiencing the problem now as well. I’m using Chrome 90.0.4430.72. The problem occurs with the Dabble Writer app on both Mac and PC, but happens while using the web interface as well.

1 Like

I’m having the same exact issues. Even after I sign out, turn my computer off and back on again. Please help with this issue.

Thank you.

1 Like

Sorry folks! Just wrapping up bugs for the release that fixes this one. The next day or two.

To get around it right now, you can turn off the Preference “Prevent Double Spaces”.

3 Likes

Thank you so much, Jacob, I really love this software. : )

1 Like

It should be fixed now with Prevent Spaces on. If you see this again, let me know!

1 Like

I’ve been having the same issue for the past few weeks. I thought it was fixed but it just happened again (5 June). I’m using Chrome on PC.

Good tip on turning off prevent double spaces - i’ll give that a go.

UPDATE: Turning off “prevent double spaces” didn’t work. Are there any other solutions?

1 Like

Bug fix release coming tomorrow, in beta now. Let me know after the update if you still have problems and describe it well (or grab a video of it) for me.

2 Likes

I just started using Dabble today and noticed this. If I try to go back to edit something somewhere else, it will move the curser back to the start of the paragraph instead of letting me type where I clicked. Hoping your bug fix works! This is very strange, it doesn’t happen every time.

1 Like