Style and Grammar Checking

Can I keep Style and Grammar checking turned off while I write and then turn it on to check the entire project I have written to date? I find it distracting.

Also, there are some rules that I disagree with. Is there any way to disable specific rules, or dismiss all occurrences of the offending rule instead of one at a time?

Thanks in advance

2 Likes

You can turn them off in the preferences.

As far as disabling rules, I don’t think so. I am not sure prowriting aid has that ability in general. But I honestly don’t know for sure.

1 Like

Thanks. I just wanted to make sure that it would catch grammatical errors that were entered while it was turned off, once turned on again. I ran some tests and it appears to do so.

2 Likes

I don’t know about turning ProWrite off entirely, but I’m pretty sure you can turn off certain rules. When it does, it’ll warn you that you can’t turn the rule back on, which is sort of strange. BTW, welcome, Greg.

1 Like

Thank you, Dennis. Do you know where I would turn off individual rules? I cannot find this option.

1 Like

If I remember correctly, the option presents itself when you “bubble” pops up for you to dismiss, change, or disengage the rule. I may be thinking of Grammarly. I think it’s ProWritingAid. I’ve never gotten rid of anything. I dismiss things even though it will pop up again on recheck.

1 Like

I just asked/suggested about this very thing. I have a devil of a time with “passive verbs!”

1 Like

My favorite passive verb test is if you can follow up the verb with “by zombies” and it makes sense then it’s a passive verb.

The package was delivered BY ZOMBIES. hehe… Not passive would be They delivered the package. Though, in a zombie apocalypses novel “They delivered the package by zombies.” could fit right in specially if the package was a bomb and it was going to an emery camp or into the middle of the horde.

4 Likes

You nailed this issue directly on the head. :joy:

5 Likes

I’d say he shot the issue in the head. :exploding_head:

2 Likes