Timeline feature?

I’m signed up for the trial version of Dabble. It looks clean and simple, easy to use. Is there a timeline feature? I’ve seen the plot line feature but am wondering more if there is a timeline type of feature on which you could insert multiple different plot points and subplots.

For example, one where you could zoom out and see the major plot lines, and then zoom in and see plot points. For my purposes, I would be interested in attaching months and years to the timeline.

Thanks.
Michael B.

3 Likes

Hi! I’m a fairly new Dabble user, too. I like this idea – but I was curious if you had seen anything like that in another product? I would love to see what that looks like. I’m not the best with continuity.

2 Likes

Hi, Catherine. I’ve not used many other writing products, but in the old Power Structure app, there is something similar, which I found handy. It’s a conflict overview, a sort of timeline or conflict-line, if you will. It shows scenes associated with conflicts vertically marked along a line.

1 Like

We don’t have one, but Aeon Timeline is a desktop one. Is that something you would like Dabble to have?

2 Likes

Hello, Jacob. I think it would be helpful for any writing app to have a timeline built in so that plot points can be associated with points on a timeline. One can use other timeline apps or a spreadsheet, but those would not be integrated into the app in which writers are organizing the story structure and writing the manuscript. I think it would be highly beneficial for writers to be able to see plot points on a timeline and zoom in and out to get various views of what is happening when. Thank you.
—mb

1 Like

Aeon Timeline is VERY complex and I found it too bulky to use and didn’t buy it.

Such a feature should be tied to Dabble’s plot grid, else, I would not find it useful and ignore it.
I typically already add a note on the scene cards / plot points: “How much time passed since the last scene or that important scene”. For complex stories, I’d have an entire plot line dedicated to the where and when of a scene. (So in my view, the plot grid can be used for timelines without much additional effort, though the visuals don’t help with duration or time passed.)

Maybe, for Dabble, one could add a personlized time stamp to each scene card / plot point. It could be simply numbered from the start and allow for personlized tags (a date or "5 days from ", and the scene’s duration “a week’s journey”). In a different view (e.g. overall manuscript view), it could arrange chronologically with a length according to it’s duration.

Just some thoughts.

2 Likes

I agree with @Chris. I use one plot grid card for ‘setting’ which has the time of day, date, weather, location, and other things like that, so in effect I can already have the functionality of a timeline. I wouldn’t want one as in depth and bulky as with Aeon, but perhaps a more streamlined one would be appropriate.

If there was an actual timeline that worked similarly to a plot line in that you could associate it with scenes and view it in the plot grid and from the scene but could also work on it independently like a plot line, I think that would be useful. Perhaps something like suggested by @Michael_Bleau, where you could have let’s say three levels of points, and zoom 1, 2 and 3 showed you those levels and above (so, zoom 1 was only major timeline points, 2 is the points from level 1 and the minor timeline points, etc) would be useful.

I also really like Chris’ idea of a time stamp. That would be visually very cool but also something that would be useful to me.

2 Likes

I’d definitely like a timeline feature – I’m using a plot grid column for timeline at the moment but it feels a bit off, there’s too much space for such minor info.

2 Likes

I agree with you @Emma. While we may not add a full timeline feature (like Aeon), I do want to allow the plot grid to have different column displays so you can have things like a timeline date that displays differently. We’ll see what we can do.

2 Likes

Aeon Timeline is my go to! It’s fantastic. Super simple and pairs well with Dabble.

1 Like