Tracking which scenes need work and which are complete

I’m not writing my novel in a linear way; instead, I’m jumping around and writing scenes in no particular order and many of the scenes are incomplete or have gaps in them that I’ll need to fill in later when I have more of the story worked out.

It was driving me crazy trying to keep track of which scenes were complete and which weren’t but I finally figured out a quick trick to take care of it.

When I start working on a new scene, I name the scene with a plus sign (+) at the front of the name. Then when I know I have the scene completely written with no gaps that need more work, I rename the scene to delete the +. This way I can quickly look down the list of scenes in the Manuscript list and the plus sign tells me exactly which scenes still need more work.

4 Likes

I find sticky notes useful for this type of thing as well. They are available in different colours and can be hidden from view when not needed.

1 Like

Sticky notes are good. Also go old fashion If you do not have a wall use numbered flash cards with needed info and set them up like a deck of cards. Move shuffle until you get it where you want it.

I do something similar (confession: I got this from Scrivener which allows you to tag scenes with metadata: first draft, second draft, etc). In Dabble, I preface the scenes with 0, 1, or 2. 0 = to be written, 1= first rough, 2 = edited, ready for final polish.

2 Likes

Oooh, I like the + method - I tried using emojis to show status but gave up as it was too much faff adding them in to each chapter. This is much more doable.

Mark_Wightman

Feb 13

I do something similar (confession: I got this from Scrivener which allows you to tag scenes with metadata: first draft, second draft, etc). In Dabble, I preface the scenes with 0, 1, or 2. 0 = to be written, 1= first rough, 2 = edited, ready for final polish.

This is a very nice method too! Great thinking.