Craft your story

Dabble Community

Umlauts?

Is there any way to do an umlaut on dabble?

TIA

1 Like

A quick and dirty way to enter umlauts is to copy and paste them from another source:

ä, ë, ï, ö, ü and ÿ.

The above are just a copy and paste from the HTML codes for those characters: ä, ë, ï, ö, ü and ÿ become ä, ë, ï, ö, ü and ÿ.

So I’m a hardcore Linux user. The proper way to enter special characters in Linux is to enable the compose key. In the GNOME desktop environment you set it up in the Keyboard preferences. Then to enter Ä you press and release in order compose and then " and then A.

Unfortunately @jacob while the compose key method works in the terminal, Typora, Mindforger, QOwnNotes, Mark Text, LibreOffice Writer and ThiefMD it does not work in Dabble. Not in the web browser and not in the AppImage version under Linux.

However on macOS, the standard way to enter umlauts works as advertised in Dabble. Press Opt u (hold the keys down at the same time), release and then type the vowel that requires the umlaut. So Opt u e results in ë.

1 Like

I’m hoping a rewrite of the text editor which will go out with co-authoring will fix this. :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

Excellent. When the rewrite escapes I’ll test it.

Meanwhile: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to everybody reading this :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I have four keyboard layouts saved which I quickly switch to when I need special characters:
Danish, German, Spanish and English. My travel-sized notebook has Spanish labels, my “desktop” (17" notebook, too heavy for travels) has Danish labels.
But the software lets you add any other keyboard layouts, so that’s what I do :smiley: .

2 Likes

@Chris kindly tell us more about “the software” that you use so efficiently.

1 Like

Windows 10, language preference settings. You can add as many preferred languages as you want and be a click away from umlauts in that particular language.
I spent 7 years in Spain and still write a lot in that language. Definitely, you don’t want to wish anybody a happy new anus, so you need the ñ close by!
[I mean, it happens ONCE and then you learn the difference, but everybody keeps talking about it for the next 6 six years … ]

3 Likes

:joy:

1 Like

OK it looks like we have umlaut solutions for Linux, macOS and Windows then. Covered it.

Just a reminder, you can hold down a key in macOS and a popup happens from which you select from the accented characters shown. It works for any key, typically a vowel, for which accents are possible. Umlauts are among them. For aeiouy characters. The vowels.

3 Likes