“Undo” on iPhone

Dabbler Extraordinaire’s,

I selected a sentence to bold but deleted it instead…

I could not find a way to “go-back” or “undo” to fix my mistake.

Anyone know where or “if” this feature is available while using your iPhone?!

Thanks
Ray LaRue

1 Like

This is a glaring hole in mobile support right now. I need to research how to add a button for this, if possible, directly above the keyboard, but so far I’ve not been able to. Sorry! I can restore the sentence if you need, just ask in support.

could you add gesture support? I don’t know how cross-platform would work though.

1 Like

I can, sort of. To fully solve this I may need a native app (wrapper).

nods so an actual app to download from the app stores of each OS?

quick google search on javascript gestures: ZingTouch : A JavaScript gesture detection library for the modern web

No idea how well it works but maybe not a native wrapper is needed.

1 Like

I normally vigorously shake my phone. It has an undo feature that way.

2 Likes

Any news on the undo functionality for mobile? I feel this is something quite important when the software is continually saving any mistakes I make in the background.

2 Likes

No news yet. Sorry.

1 Like

Ah, then I shall continue on risking to yeet my phone out the window. XD

1 Like

@Jacob just wondering what’s the priority for this in relation to your work-load, i.e. is it a low or high priority?
It was reported 3 months ago now and, speaking personally, asking support to manually undo changes to my editing is a bit of a show-stopper for me I’m afraid.

2 Likes

It is… medium priority? There are some design challenges. Ideally, I would put the undo button at the top of the keyboard, but mobile devices don’t have a way for me to do that. The next obvious place is at the top (since bottom gets covered by keyboard), but if the cursor is below the keyboard area, the page will scroll up and the toolbar disappears offscreen.

I’m not making excuses, just explaining why something that may seem simple isn’t, and thus why it hasn’t been added already. I will add it to the list to look into for the upcoming release to see if we can get it in.

2 Likes

Could you add it to a long press and have a context ish menu so you could add other things to it as necessary? It’s probably overriding and adding to some of the functions already there.

I know when I long press on a word, I get the format options from dabble AND the copy/cut etc android tool bar at the same time. Thankfully the android tool bar is moveable so I can get to the formatting options.

2 Likes

We’ll see what we can do.

2 Likes

Had this issue on Android today. Lost almost an entire scene when I attempted to select a couple of sentences to copy and it rapidly scrolled up the entire screen where my fingers then slipped over the keyboard to replace it all with a couple of letters. I’ve contacted support, but I don’t know how long that will be so I’m wondering if anyone with experience of this issue can let me know if the old text can be restored? It’s been almost 8 hours now and I’m worried that if I login to continue working on other parts of my project (even just to export it to a safer app without this issue) that any backed up data on the server will be lost forever (if that isn’t the case already).

2 Likes

I don’t know how you can fix it. The only way I can think of is to have a physical keyboard bluetooth attachment. That way you can actually Ctrl+Z (use the keyboard short cut)

Cutting and pasting is definitely a no go in Dabble right now. I try not to edit on my phone more than a word or two. Or use the backspace key to back it out (it’s annoying) If I find I want to cut a section to put somewhere else I end up moving on someplace else.

But Jacob can usually get you that lost data back, you just have to wait till he’s back online as there is only one of him. Dabble has a background history mode we currently cannot access, but Jacob can. So your data is safe even if you continued writing on, Jacob could have found it if you knew the whereabouts of the change for him to find.

2 Likes

Thanks for that. I appreciate that support is likely in a significantly different time zone to myself, but at least I can now feel comfortable about accessing my work again with the information in your reply. I’ll also try to connect a keyboard to my phone and see I can recover it the lost scene myself.

Edit: ctrl-z didn’t work unfortunately. Despite keeping the window open it’s probably been too long and is now a new session I guess. Oh well. One to try in future if it happens again.

2 Likes

yeah likely a session refresh is why you can’t. Dabble auto refreshes on it’s own after a given time.

2 Likes