Why am I stuck with this AGAIN? This is in Safari, not the App. Won't complete a sync!

Why is this happening no matter what I do?

I’ve gone back to Chrome with PWA plug-in deactivated… But there’s no reason it should stall on Safari browser. Please put in an option to FORCE a sync. I need to be able to force Dabble to do what it refuses to do automatically like it’s supposed to.

1 Like

And now it’s “offline” even though you can see I’m online with WiFi.

1 Like

I just ran into a problem with it not syncing. I closed it down, and when it came back up it had an update to preform. Then I was able to save it.

I don’t know if this is similar just relaying what I did to get mine to sync.

2 Likes

Lot’s of updates and big ones, due to upcoming NaNoWriMo!

And if you use the desktop version like I do, reinstalling it is at times the safer way than the update from within the app.

1 Like

I have a big stability update which had to get put on hold because of NaNoWriMo. I will likely be rolling it out with the mobile update in December if all goes well.

If you get stuck with sync and refreshing doesn’t help, the best thing to do is to export to word what you have for backup, then log out and back in to get a fresh sync from the server. The stability update will have means of fixing the sync when it gets stuck. Sorry Chet! Truly.

1 Like

Does anybody have other tips for avoiding the synch error in Safari? I get the message almost immediately and then I cannot enter text anywhere. I refresh and sometimes get a few more minutes. So I refresh again, then exit out of Safari and comeback on Dabble. Get a few minutes, then synch error message again. I have been saving to either Evernote or to a Word file and I haven’t lost anything, but I cannot seem to get any flow going with the synch error messages. I really want to tell my story on Dabble not some other platform. Jacob was very helpful; just thought someone might suggest a way to work around this.

1 Like

The error message says:
It appears Dabble is taking too long to sync. Something must have gone wrong. Please refresh the page. If this problem persists, contact support.

1 Like

It seems your connection to Dabble’s sync database is spotty. Looking at the logs you can write a bunch and everything works great, then one change takes a long time and you get the message. That’s a really terrible experience having to refresh regularly to get anything written. Part of my mobile work is dealing with spotty connections better, so it should improve with mobile, but that is still 2+ months out. I’m really sorry @Griff2u! Anything you can do on your end (e.g. better internet or pausing large downloads/uploads that might be going on, etc.)? There isn’t a quick fix on my end right now that wouldn’t jeopardize people losing words.

I think I have a very fast Internet connection. I will double check. Your suggestion gives me an idea. When I am working with Dabble and going back and forth with Evernote, perhaps I should take Evernote offline since it is also synching. Will try it and keep you posted. I also suspect Apple Voice Control, which I have been using for some dictation.

It’s strange because text content is small, so new content in Dabble takes very little bandwidth. I would imagine Evernote is similar. Maybe download speed is high but upload speed is low? What do you get from a speed test website?

@griff2u one quick way to test if it’s a Safari only error, or a network connection is to install Chrome and give it a try. I understand sometimes it’s not an option, but that will tell you whether or not it’s a network issue or a safari issue.

Looking at Can I Use website safari is lagging behind chrome. I don’t know if Dabble’s using any of these technologies, but it might be partially the problem as well. Here is the comparison for the latest chrome and safari stable releases.

Filesystem & FileWriter API
Web SQL Database
Background Sync API
Network Information API

Being some of the ones that stick out for me that might affect Dabbles performance. But like I said I don’t know if you are using any of these api’s.

1 Like

Your post inspired me to look at my router firmware. It needed an update. Will do some speed tests and see what happens next. Will also try Chrome again per I think I had the same problem with it yesterday. Appears I needed a little housekeeping on my end.

1 Like

But you really shouldn’t. Does Google Docs or any other online syncing text editor fail?

1 Like

Ironic. Today I got the syncing taking too long error in the Dabble app on my machine (Windows 10)

but it went away as I was posting this and synced back up.

I will note that I’ve been having to ‘refresh the page’ after session timing out. It usually happens only after I’ve been idle for a long time. (I leave it open in most cases)

And I take that back it’s being annoying as has been described.

1 Like

I’m working on improving this.

@AJ_Hunter, @Griff2u, I released an update with some possible changes. I’m not sure if it will change anything for you, but could you please update and see if you get those Sync-too-long error messages still? Or any other issues for that matter. :smile:

Thanks!

2 Likes

Now I am getting this since yesterday, hasn’t been able to sync up yet with the desktop app on win 10. I got a new internet provider yesterday at home, BUT it’s also not working at work, so it’s not that :confused: . I checked the current version of my desktop app and there is not a newer one for download, so not sure what to do.

1 Like

First, for specific issues with Dabble, please reach out to support chat. I watch that much more closely than the forums and you’ll get things solved sooner and back to writing. So my apologies for keeping you.

The easiest way to get things back and running is if you have only been working on the manuscript then you can make a backup using Export to Word, sign out (which deletes your local database), and sign back in for a fresh sync. Then replace any missing work that might not have been synced from your Word file.

If you’ve been doing plotting then you can’t back that up to Word. You’ll want to go to your account menu in Dabble, go to Data Management, click Export Local Data and email the file to support@dabblewriter.com. I can then import any changes that were not synced, and you can sign out and back in to get a fresh sync.

I am working hard on some stability updates right now (wanted to get them out before NaNoWriMo but ran out of time). I have some great improvements that will make sync faster and rock solid. There are also some other small improvements that I think you will like. Such as mobile. My hope is that 2019 is the last year anyone has any headaches with sync.

2 Likes

Thanks Jacob, we really appreciate it!

I was having this issue as well, and I cleared all my browsing data (on Chrome) including cache, cookies, etc. Now it works almost perfectly! If anyone else is using Chrome and hasn’t tried this yet, it would be worth looking in to. I know I try to clear my cache every week but most of the time that doesn’t happen…

2 Likes

I’ve had issues with sync issues with other local storage apps in the past where things get messed up and clearing the local storage was the only fix to get things back to the way they were supposed to. The fact that @Jacob is working so hard so we don’t see these issues is awesome! Thank you Jacob, we really do appreciate you and all your hard work.

2 Likes