Craft your story

Dabble Community

Writing Contests

Hi all. Most of the Dabble community seems to be NaNoWriMos. But what with all the other writing contests, where you might even win prizes?

E.g. AutoCrit has a short story writing challenge during from April 6th until April 20th:
https://www.autocrit.com/storychallenge/

I suggest to use this space for other suggestions and announcements for writing challenges and contests throughout the year.
Good luck!

4 Likes

Reedsy does weekly writing prompts:

Write Practice does contests too but there is an entrance fee.

There are some yearly ones

https://www.wilkes.edu/academics/graduate-programs/masters-programs/creative-writing-ma-mfa/james-jones-fellowship-contest.aspx

https://www.writersofthefuture.com/enter-writer-contest/

3 Likes

One feature I’m super excited to add to Dabble (which isn’t on the list) is a Writer’s Workbook. It would give you daily prompts, writing exercises for various aspects of the craft, and generally be an awesome tool to help you level up your writing outside of your novels.

Maybe as Dabble grows we can host our own writing contests!

6 Likes

That would be awesome :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The workbook, or the contests?

1 Like

Yes, yes, YES!

2 Likes

Both!

2 Likes

The write practice is holding a short story contest if anyone is interested

2 Likes

I found this calendar of upcoming writing contests at The Masters’s Review. I took a look at some of their past winners and they publish really good and interesting stuff – flash fiction and short stories:

2 Likes

Wattpad has the “Wattys” which is a held every July-August and the overall winner has the chance to have their book published :slight_smile:

1 Like

omg I would love a Writer’s Workbook! I make my own for camp sessions and NaNo in November but it would be nice to have daily prompts for when I get stuck. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Sadly the Watty’s require you to post it to WattPad and I’m pretty sure it’s a populatity contest. I don’t know if there are judges or not.

Though I have thought about it. But I can never make myself post a whole story there as there is no way to schedule it.

2 Likes

Also on the topic of writing contests (warnings about scams and fake awards):

1 Like

They do have a panel of judges and yeah I wish they had a way to schedule posts :upside_down_face:

1 Like

I’ve started so many times and the forget and delete it. if I could schedule it I could easily do a chapter a week lol. or a chapter every few days.

1 Like

You mean, Wattpad makes you upload the book every week, they don’t let you upload it all at once with a slow release schedule?

Nope. You have to go there and do it yourself. There is no mechanism to put the whole thing up and release it whenever you want. It’s the biggest reason I’ve never finished a book. I preschedule my own blog and have finished several books being published It really sucks.

1 Like

[looks furtively over shoulder]

I have secret ambitions to create a Wattpad-like community where authors can publish their work and get paid via micro-transactions and subs like Twitch.

1 Like

I mean technically you have the option to save it without publishing, but it still requires you to go back and manually publish chapters instead of automatic publishing with scheduling.

1 Like

I think Radish is an author platform but I’m not 100% sure if that’s what its designed for. One of the indy authors I follow was going to use it to distribute her in progress stories but opted for Patereon instead. I think there are a few other competitors but I can’t think of the names. I have thought about doing both wattpad and patereon - have accounts and everything but never actually get very far in it. It’s all too much work. Having to go back and make those posts when things have been written for weeks/days/months is difficult.

1 Like