Writing Trouble

Hey guys!
I have a dilemma in novel writing, and would love tips and/or advice. I’ve always enjoyed planning out my story plots and characters in depth, and giving much forethought to what will happen in my books, but I never have the impulse to just sit down and write the part that I’m up to in my book. I’d rather write the scene that excites me the most, than to just write the chapter I’m on.

Because of this, my novel is taking forever to be finished! I don’t call it “Writer’s Block” because I know what I need to be writing, I just don’t want to put it into words on paper unless it gives me a thrill. Should I just write what I feel like writing at any given time, or write each chapter in perfect order? Thanks in advance for reaching out!

1 Like

Any order. That’s how you can foreshadow better and such and weave everything together.

1 Like

Write what makes you wanna write. The rest will fall into place. I’m a linear writer, but many others skip all over the place.

2 Likes

Thank you, I’ll keep it in mind!

1 Like

Thank you for your advice! :blush:

As I write mostly short stories, I have soooo many things started and little finished. I usually have a top to do list and end up working on what just feels like most fun in the moment.
After several years I can tell you that I have some 25 finished shorts, one collection polished and published. Hoping to get a second book out next year latest!

So: Writing should be fun, anything you do in life should be fun! If not, it might just not be the right job, friend, partner, path in general. :+1:

2 Likes

Wow, neat! What’s your published collection called? I have a lot of unfinished things as well. :grimacing:

1 Like

Writing should be fun, but can also be hard work. If you are just hobbying, stick with the fun stuff. If you want to make a career of this, you’ll have to do the rest that isn’t as fun. Every dream career has less-desirable jobs that need doing. You’ll need to write those other scenes, edit, edit again (repeat as needed), query your novel, work with a professional editor to edit again, market yourself on a blog, social media, etc. Again, this is if you want to make a living from it.

One piece of advice I’ve heard regarding writing scenes specifically is, find a way to get excited about the scene. If it is boring to you, it may be boring to the reader. Add some conflict. Figure out what the job of that scene is. If it is simply to move the characters from one place to another, consider cutting it. If you need it, make the scene do double duty and throw in an argument between characters, a twist, or a complication. And always some great characterization.

I love making great software. I don’t love bug fixing or marketing or support (i.e. it isn’t something I would do on the weekends for fun). I still feel a rush of satisfaction when doing something well, even if it isn’t my fav, and I’ve learned to really enjoy all that. Dabble is getting big enough, I may not get to build the software any more after this year. But I’ve learned to enjoy the hard work and seeing my vision become reality over time. There’s little better work than that of creating something from nothing that people enjoy.

4 Likes

Wow, thank you so much for your advice!

2 Likes

If you don’t enjoy writing it, chances are, readers won’t enjoy reading it.

1. Try to make your words more impactful. Don’t bore yourself and your readers with lengthy descriptions on architecture or facial features. Instead, work on describing a lot with less. You could make your character(s) interact with the object, structure, or person being described to make it or more interest.

2. Slow scenes don’t have to be boring. People tend to think that scenes without action are boring by default. That’s not how it works. A scene is only boring if you make it boring. I’ve read plenty of books where the writer’s managed to interest me with the character’s routine. Cleaning water, trading, feeding livestock, hunting, traveling—they can all be very boring or very interesting. That’s up to the writer.

3. Show don’t tell. If you’ve been searching for writing advice, you’ve probably heard this one before. But it’s worth repeating. Don’t write unconvincing sentences like, “he was scared”. Show us he’a scared. Is he shivering? Are his teeth clenched? Is he flinching at even the smallest movements? A book I highly recommend to help with this is “The Emotion Thesaurus: A Writer’s Guide To Character Expression” by Becca Puglisi.

4. Don’t be afraid to cut scenes loose. Here’s a secret—everyone hates filler-scenes. Don’t waste your time trying to make a boring, meaningless scene work because you feel it’s necessary. Instead, see if you can merge it with another, more exciting scene. If not, cut it loose. There’s no point in holding onto a scene that isn’t working.

5. Love hating writing. It may sound like I’m trying to be confusing, but it’s true. Writing can be frustrating, boring, and unrewarding—but so long as you love doing it, keep doing it.

And remember, “writer’s block” is an excuse. Write even when you don’t want to. Even if it’s not completely coherent or concise. Just. Write. You can edit it all later.

Happy writing! :sunny:

6 Likes

I knoww! It’s so untrue! I can legit be more interested in a scene of the character sitting in a classroom working on a test, then in a battle scene: It all depends on the way it’s written. Thank you so much for taking the time to give me advice, I’m really loving this site; the people are so sweet and friendly and the advice is great. :hugs:

4 Likes

I’m a discovery writer. I don’t plan everything in detail. Just the rough edges. Then I start writing. That’s the important part. Usually I come up with payoffs or plots further down the road. Then I have to backtrack to fill in the setup further back in the book. But not now. I don’t think about it much, just keeps writing after I put in a note of planting the setup on a later date. It’s a bit of hopping forward and back. But it works. For some this helps.

3 Likes